IMG vs D.O for PM&R?

Started by NewHope
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NewHope

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know that this subject got beaten to death on premed fora. But, for those of you who are in real-deal now, Does this make a huge difference, provided that the rest of stats are similar / same? I'm not trying to start any any flame throwing here. Olease advice.
 
Based on what I've seen, more folks have gone the DO route. It's a natural choice because of the manual medicine techniques they learn. But this is only based on a few months of rotations and people I've met interviewing this year
 
i'm a US born IMG from Saba University. a former chiropractor. and i've matched into PM&R this year...don't know where for another couple hours. my advice is definitely to go the DO route. if i were a DO with my board scores and musculoskeletal background i'm confident i'd had gotten many more interviews and at more of the top programs. get other peoples opinions too, but mine is a hands down DO. feel free to ask me any other questions.
chris

***update: I got a categorical PM&R spot at LSU in New Orleans....woohoo!!!
 
DO is a more straightforward path. It is also looked upon very highly in the PM&R world by the MDs. Many attendings go back and study manipulation or approach me with questions or help with a patient. That being said, I have trained with a few graduates of St George's and they were very good residents.