IMG vs D.O for PM&R?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewHope

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that this subject got beaten to death on premed fora. But, for those of you who are in real-deal now, Does this make a huge difference, provided that the rest of stats are similar / same? I'm not trying to start any any flame throwing here. Olease advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Based on what I've seen, more folks have gone the DO route. It's a natural choice because of the manual medicine techniques they learn. But this is only based on a few months of rotations and people I've met interviewing this year

i'm a US born IMG from Saba University. a former chiropractor. and i've matched into PM&R this year...don't know where for another couple hours. my advice is definitely to go the DO route. if i were a DO with my board scores and musculoskeletal background i'm confident i'd had gotten many more interviews and at more of the top programs. get other peoples opinions too, but mine is a hands down DO. feel free to ask me any other questions.
chris

***update: I got a categorical PM&R spot at LSU in New Orleans....woohoo!!!

DO is a more straightforward path. It is also looked upon very highly in the PM&R world by the MDs. Many attendings go back and study manipulation or approach me with questions or help with a patient. That being said, I have trained with a few graduates of St George's and they were very good residents.