Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

IMG vs D.O for PM&R?

Discussion in 'PM&R' started by NewHope, Mar 15, 2007.

1. NewHope

2+ Year Member

I know that this subject got beaten to death on premed fora. But, for those of you who are in real-deal now, Does this make a huge difference, provided that the rest of stats are similar / same? I'm not trying to start any any flame throwing here. Olease advice.

2. pirate

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Based on what I've seen, more folks have gone the DO route. It's a natural choice because of the manual medicine techniques they learn. But this is only based on a few months of rotations and people I've met interviewing this year

3. dc2md

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i'm a US born IMG from Saba University. a former chiropractor. and i've matched into PM&R this year...don't know where for another couple hours. my advice is definitely to go the DO route. if i were a DO with my board scores and musculoskeletal background i'm confident i'd had gotten many more interviews and at more of the top programs. get other peoples opinions too, but mine is a hands down DO. feel free to ask me any other questions.
    chris

***update: I got a categorical PM&R spot at LSU in New Orleans....woohoo!!!

4. njdevil

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    DO is a more straightforward path. It is also looked upon very highly in the PM&R world by the MDs. Many attendings go back and study manipulation or approach me with questions or help with a patient. That being said, I have trained with a few graduates of St George's and they were very good residents.