IMG with step 1 228 chances for GS ? does MRCS make difference ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amr tarek

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
IMG with step 1 228 chances for GS ? does MRCS make difference ?

by the way i am planning to pass step 2 &3, do multiple USCE and surgical research. what do u think u can compensate for my low score on step 1 ?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, it's going to be tough. Not impossible, but you will need to settle for low tier programs in undesirable locations, score way higher on step 2, and get awesome letters. At least if you are aiming for a categorical position.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had to google it. I seriously doubt it could make any difference since it is not an American exam, but that's just my opinion.

Have u passed the match ?
I am also searching for list and rank of surgery residency programs and i can't find it !!

Have u passed the match ?
I am also searching for list and rank of surgery residency programs and i can't find it !!
1) The Match doesn't "pass", it occurs in March.
2) There isn't a ranking per se of programs. There is a doximity list which is of questionable use and accuracy.

I don't know why i can't get access to doximity ?!!

MRCS has very little weight in deciding US surgical residency placement, although if you have completed your training abroad, you may be eligible for advanced standing in a US surgical residency program (but you must obtain that position first and then your program has to apply for that standing based on your prior surgical training).

There is no good, complete, widely agreed upon ranking of US surgical programs; however, Doximity does have the list from US News and World Report. These rankings are not necessarily based on the quality of education so I would caution you against using them as anything more than a general guidelines. They can be accessed here: https://www.doximity.com/residency_navigator/programs#residency_specialty_id=44 I'm not sure why you can't access Doximity except that you have to be a US licensed physician to have a profile there; perhaps you are posting from a country that they restrict access from?

American IMG step 1 230, step 2 240+ ... I applied to about 80 programs, and I got 2 interviews.

Let that give you an approximation. (I matched radiology.) Surgery is tough... if you are a foreign IMG, I don't want to burst your bubble... but it's going to be pretty damn difficult. I have a buddy who who was a foreign IMG with better scores than mine and he applied to over 100 programs and got ZERO interviews.

Meanwhile, the program where I am now doing my prelim surgery year has american grads who are my seniors who can't tell a foot from an anal sphincter... so... take that for what it's worth.