IMGs at Miami Miller?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

qw098

zyzzbrah
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Seeing a recurrent thread here. Was wondering if it was just me.

Upon looking at the current Derm residents I see many of them are IMGs? How is this possible with the competitiveness of derm?

http://dermatology.med.miami.edu/education/current-residents

Sonal Choudhary, M.D.
Hometown: New Delhi, India
Undergraduate: DAV Jawahar Vidya Mandir (India), 2001
Medical School: Vardhman Mahavir Medical College and Safdarjang Hospital (India), 2007
Research Fellowship: Clinical research, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Department of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery
Internship: Jackson Memorial Hospital/University of Miami – Internal Medicine

Jose Ollague, M.D.
Undergraduate: Colegio Javier (Ecuador); Math and Physics, 2003
Medical School: Universidad Católica de Guayaquil (Ecuador) 2009
Research fellowship: University of Miami, Dept of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery – Dr Jie Li. Wound healing and Laminin 5
Internship: Jackson Memorial Hospital/University of Miami – General Surgery

Alejandra Vivas, M.D.
Hometown: Caracas, Venezuela
Undergraduate and Medical School: Universidad Central De Venezuela (Venezuela), 2004
Research Fellowship: Wound Healing, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Department of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery
Internship: Cleveland Clinic Florida – Internal Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

Seeing a recurrent thread here. Was wondering if it was just me.

Upon looking at the current Derm residents I see many of them are IMGs? How is this possible with the competitiveness of derm?

http://dermatology.med.miami.edu/education/current-residents

Sonal Choudhary, M.D.
Hometown: New Delhi, India
Undergraduate: DAV Jawahar Vidya Mandir (India), 2001
Medical School: Vardhman Mahavir Medical College and Safdarjang Hospital (India), 2007
Research Fellowship: Clinical research, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Department of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery
Internship: Jackson Memorial Hospital/University of Miami – Internal Medicine

Jose Ollague, M.D.
Undergraduate: Colegio Javier (Ecuador); Math and Physics, 2003
Medical School: Universidad Católica de Guayaquil (Ecuador) 2009
Research fellowship: University of Miami, Dept of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery – Dr Jie Li. Wound healing and Laminin 5
Internship: Jackson Memorial Hospital/University of Miami – General Surgery

Alejandra Vivas, M.D.
Hometown: Caracas, Venezuela
Undergraduate and Medical School: Universidad Central De Venezuela (Venezuela), 2004
Research Fellowship: Wound Healing, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Department of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery
Internship: Cleveland Clinic Florida – Internal Medicine

I'm going to lock this thread since it can only go downhill from here.

The match process is exactly like life: often times random and not always fair

The residents you have named are all likely extremely intelligent and all appear to have paid their dues by doing a research fellowship to boot

Calling them out simply because of their educational background is highly unprofessional. Take a page from their playbook: excel academically at every level, do something (research, research fellowship, outstanding rotator) where you can get derm faculty to vouch for you, and don't be so petty as to wonder if the person standing next to you "deserves" their residency slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.