IMG's from Carib

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O

OBfan

Hi guys,
Congrats to all of you who matched or those that found positions after the scramble. I'll be going through it next year. I just wanted to get some advice from you guys as I enter the eye of the storm.

I was born in the U.S. and my GPA from St. George is 3.2 with a step 1 score is 185(first time). I'll be taking step 2 soon and have been studying like crazy. I have some really great letters and a little research as well. I also have a lot of experience interviewing from previous jobs.

I know my numbers are not competitive by any means and because of that I'm thinking of applying to about 80 programs.

My question to you guys is should I take my chances with the match or if I'm offered a prematch position with one of the affiliated hospitals that St. George's works with (Elmhurst-mt.sinai) should I take it?

Any advice would really be appreciated.
Thanks and congrats again!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there!

I'm an IMG who matched into psychiatry last year. I went to St. Matthews University in the Caymans. Like you I had these same thoughts and worries.

I applied to about 60 programs, got 15 invites and went to 4. After 4 I just got so tired of flying. Anyway, I matched into my #1 spot. All the folks I know (IMG's) also matched into their top 3 spots. I don't know anyone who didn't match. Now, I don't know many people, but I have even heard from some of the US medical students at my program that some of THEIR friends didn't match this year. So go figure. I think you are going to be fine. Visas and citizenship problems are the real hurdles IMG's face, and you don't have to worry about that.

Good luck on Step 2CK/CS! You are welcome to PM me with questions.

Hi guys,
Congrats to all of you who matched or those that found positions after the scramble. I'll be going through it next year. I just wanted to get some advice from you guys as I enter the eye of the storm.

I was born in the U.S. and my GPA from St. George is 3.2 with a step 1 score is 185(first time). I'll be taking step 2 soon and have been studying like crazy. I have some really great letters and a little research as well. I also have a lot of experience interviewing from previous jobs.

I know my numbers are not competitive by any means and because of that I'm thinking of applying to about 80 programs.

My question to you guys is should I take my chances with the match or if I'm offered a prematch position with one of the affiliated hospitals that St. George's works with (Elmhurst-mt.sinai) should I take it?

Any advice would really be appreciated.
Thanks and congrats again!
I think you'll have a better idea after the application process starts. I go to an American school, but our Deans advise that you can judge competitive of an applicant you are by the response your application gets in terms of interview invitations. It is probably better to decide about accepting prematch offers after you are in the midst of interview season and have the knowledge of what percent of programs offered you interviews, as well as how you think your interviews went.