Immediate Advice Needed!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by FutureM.D., Sep 22, 2002.

1. FutureM.D.

FutureM.D. Psychology major

Hi everyone, it's me again. As some of you already know I have been having a bit of a struggle in the spanish department. I've been in school for 4 wks and my spanish prof, Rayito, has realized that I will not do well in this class(tests are coming, run) and that my grammar is too shaky. I first want to say how wonderful she is. the spanish dept. has very strict rules about placement, regulations, drop/add, etc, and she somehow convinced the spn advisor, antonio, to put me in another class a step below the one I'm currently in(spn 1115). So, Fri I met with Antonio. He made me feel extremely stupid and told me he is breaking many rules to put me in this new class. He said he wasn't going to do it at first, but rayito was in his office the other day begging him to do so. He told me I could take this new class only if I pass the test he's going to give me Mon. in his office(another broken rule:D ). He said if I don't do well then I olbviously can't handle it and I will need to either try my luck in 1116(I'm taking S/U) or go do another language. I asked him if I change classes what would happen to my transcript. He said he didn't know. I then said, "Will I get a W(withdraw)?", he said no. He said I could still get credit with this new class as well. Should I get him to give me something in writing that says I won't get a W? What if I do get a W? Will this W look bad to med schools??? Or what if I were to continue w/ 1116 and got a U. What is worse, a W or a U?? AGHH!! Someone help me! I hope I explained my situation well enough.:( :(

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Stan

Stan Senior Member

A W will not affect you AMCAS GPA, but a U will count as an F even if that class is exempt from you university's transcript.
    Good luck!

4. FutureM.D.

So you're saying it would be best to risk receiving a W in the old class instead of sticking with it and getting a U? Especially since I know I will do well in this new class.

5. racergirl

racergirl Senior Member

A W won't hurt your GPA, and an isolated W is nothing the adcomms will worry about too much.

But for Christ's sake! It sounds like the Spanish Dept IS BENDING OVER BACKWARDS for you! This Antonio guy has broken MULTIPLE rules for you and assured you verbally you won't get a W. But despite all that, you have the nerve to consider asking Antonio to put his assurances IN WRITING??!!

DO NOT DO THIS. To do so would be HIGHLY insulting, and to be honest will make you look obsessive, petty, and unappreciative. Count your blessings and keep your lip ZIPPED.

6. Stan

Stan Senior Member

I personally wouldn't risk having U's on my transcript. It is something you always have to explain, while a W will most likely be ignored. Maybe if you have a stellar GPA, a few units of U (F) won't hurt you too much on the AMCAS. It also depends what class it is. If the class in question can be used in medical school (like Spanish in some areas), I would be more reluctant to to choose a U compared to for example a PE class.

7. FutureM.D.

That's what I thought! I was like," He did all this and was very reluctant to, if I ask him for something in writing he'll change his mind". The idea about the writing came from my mother. However, she has horrible judgement so I'm always careful before I go and do something. ;)