Immediately starting a dental practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SEAHARP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the biggest reasons dentists don't begin their own practice immediately after graduation?

Members don't see this ad.

For me it's the risk of not knowing what I'm doing, practice management wise or dentistry wise, and failing. It's an unnecessary risk. Also I want to be mentored by a great person for a few years, and if I'm the owner that opportunity is not there. Also, you don't know the style of practice that you want to lead. Different practices are vastly different in terms of scheduling, armamentarium, etc.. you should try a few different styles and then decide which aspects of which practices you like. Just my few cents.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the response. One of the things i'll be considering over the next few years of dental school is how to get up and get going relatively quickly after graduating. Hopefully, through shadowing and talking with current/former dentists i'll be able to put together a solid game plan in order to start my own practice. I think the first point you made stands out the most. Their will always be risks and mitigating those will be key.

Members don't see this ad :)
For me it's the risk of not knowing what I'm doing, practice management wise or dentistry wise, and failing. It's an unnecessary risk. Also I want to be mentored by a great person for a few years, and if I'm the owner that opportunity is not there. Also, you don't know the style of practice that you want to lead. Different practices are vastly different in terms of scheduling, armamentarium, etc.. you should try a few different styles and then decide which aspects of which practices you like. Just my few cents.

DING DING DING! This is your answer.

You will make (in Florida at least) anywhere from 100K to 175K on AVG first year out.

Mostly people open there clinic after few years of experience.
There are following obstacles for immediately starting a clinic :
(i) The cost of lab, rent and staff salaries appears to be too big,
(ii) Initially the profitability is very low,
(iii) Finding good staff immediately is very difficult,
(iv) It takes long time to get satisfactory number of patients.

For more information, click here -
http://www.myprgenie.com/view-publi...ogies-offers-you-latest-technology-equipments