• SDN Site Updates

    Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Bander

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2004
10
0
DC
Status (Visible)
Advice appreciated:

I've been accepted to 2 schools for MSTP, one of which is very insistent that I give my reply by this Friday (March 12). My revisit for the other school is not until mid-April, and I am quite stressed with having to make this decision before I am ready.

Is MSTP like the MD, where you can state your acceptance to multiple programs and give your final decision in May? Is this considered poor etiquette for these prestigious programs? My feeling is that they would be ticked off if I accepted this week and then changed my mind. Please advise.
 

coldchemist

Biowulf
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2003
543
0
44
UAB
hrem.nci.nih.gov
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
My understanding is that your acceptance of their offer includes a refundable deposit. After accepting an offer you are allowed to withdraw from that school up to a certain date and get your deposit back (generally May 15th, but some programs can insist on a deadline of April 15th because you are also being admitted to their graduate school). If you withdraw after their deadline, they can keep the deposit--but that is the only penalty you will pay for changing your mind. I believe that you can only withdraw an acceptance after the deadline if you are given a new offer of admission...ie, you cannot hold multiple acceptances past the deadline, but if a school you are interested in pulls you off a waitlist in say June, you are allowed to change your mind. In practical terms, this means you should only be holding one acceptance following the deadline.
 

coldchemist

Biowulf
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2003
543
0
44
UAB
hrem.nci.nih.gov
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
I guess the answer to your question is, yes, you should accept both of the offers. Delay the actual decision of which school to attend until the deadline arrives--hopefully after your revisit.
 
About the Ads

hockebob

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2003
58
0
Status (Visible)
i would contact them and explain your position (ie- which schools have accepted you, which schools you are still waiting for a response from, where they stand on your list, etc). if they don't give you more time then accept their offer and make the decision on your own time. coldchemist is right, they can't technically force you to make a decision between ACCEPTANCES until May 15th. however, since there are so few MD/PhD positions, it would be best to make a decision sooner than later... so that 1) other people can get their acceptances and 2) the schools can get the people they want.

best,
aaron
 

Bander

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2004
10
0
DC
Status (Visible)
Thanks for your replies, it is a tricky issue. In part, because I've established a closer relationship with these folks (as compared to the MD application process), and in part because I know other folks are waiting...

I appreciate your input.
 

MumbleJumble

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2003
25
0
St. Louis, MO
Status (Visible)
I agree with most of the other posts in that you should accept the offer from the school that wants an answer in March. My reasoning behind this is based on 1) MST Programs are not allowed to require a final decision until April 15th at the earliest based on AMCAS rules and 2) I have talked to several directors at different schools have advised the same. I totally agree with turning down schools that you have no intention of attending asap, but if you are genuinely unsure then it's important that you go to the revists to figure out where you want to go. The admissions offices understand that it's sometime a difficult position, so my best advice is to keep them informed of what schools you are considering and honestly tell them how you feel. That should prevent any hurt feelings or sense of guilt. Be glad that now you are in the drivers seat and have multiple offers. Congrats!!
-steve
 
About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.