Immune system-positive and negative selection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medbunny56

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone explain the difference between these? they were answer choices from EK 4 bio exam and the explanation they provided was "they refer to early events in the T cell maturation process"

haven't really seen these terms anywhere else throughout my prep

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I briefly did some research and here is what I found. Anyone that knows more info, feel free to correct or add.

So the MHC-anitgen complex activates the T-cell to secrete cytokines (these can attract macrophages, neutrophiles, lymphocytes...)

+selection (occurs in thymus cortex) selects for T cells the are capable of interacting with the MHC.
And depending on which type of MHC (I or II) it interacts with-> this helps with the differentiation of these T cells. When it passes +selection, -selection starts to check the T-cell.

-selection (occurs in thymus medulla) removes T cells that are capable of interacting TOO STRONG with the MHC. If it is too strong, the T cell can induce autoimmune disease-> so the cell undergoes apoptosis.

After +&- selection, the T-cell will be released from the thymus to the lymph node as a mature T-cell.

I think it'll just be important to understand the differentiations of T cells (CD4/CD8) and that the +/- selection is almost like a checkpoint for maturation of T-cells. Also the movement. Thymus Cortex->thymus medulla->lymph node.

Was this a passage question? If not, it would be appreciated if I could take a look at the question.