Immunization training in school, do I need more as a pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chibipinkneko

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was a UCSF student, and they certified us to immunize. I still have a copy of that certification. My CPR certification has expired, so to immunize I will need to get a certification on that. In California, you need to have the CPR license renewed every two years, at least that was my understanding. Here are my questions:

1. Do I need to get certified again to immunize if I was certified in school?

2. I need to get certified in CPR again for the immunization certification to be applicable. Should I do this before applying for a job or will they pay for this for me?

3. Should I mention my immunization training on my resume/CV? I volunteered for immunization projects, like Kaiser's. I gave flu shots to about 100 people that day. Should I mention that as well or does it not matter?

4. Is this sort of a non-issue for job applications now because flu season is almost over?

Once I'm working I wouldn't mind paying for a refresher course because it has been a while since I've actually immunized people, but I have a lot of medical bills and money is tight :S I did search for this, but didn't find anything exactly pertaining to my questions. . .

Members don't see this ad.

Here are your answers to the following (below). All of these answers will likely only apply if you are planning to work in a retail setting. I have worked in am care and inpt in addition to retail--RN's do the immunizing in these settings typically.

Also, these issues will only apply if you work in a state where you can obtain an immunizing pharmacist license. If your job requires you to immunize (mass retail in appropriate states) they expect you to pay and keep this license up. This is in addition to your usual pharmacist license w/ the state. In a lot of states this also means separate CE for each renewal period.

1. No. But keep your original certificate. You will need copies of it for your state license.
2. Get CPR re-certified when you're on the job. They may not pay for it though--but they will offer it if they make you do immunizations.
3. Yes I would put it on your CV. It's a certification plus involvement in the community.
4. If you are going to give immunizations at your workplace it will be more than just flu shots. So it is not a non-issue.
5. There are no refresher courses unless you want to take the original over again. Just find a willing victim for the first time back in the game...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a student and I was told that my immunization certification lasts forever, the CPR certification needs to be renewed and an active CPR certification must be valid to give immunizations.

My schools did our training through the APhA program, if you need a refresher you may be able to buy the book or materials from them.

I'm a student and I was told that my immunization certification lasts forever, the CPR certification needs to be renewed and an active CPR certification must be valid to give immunizations.

My schools did our training through the APhA program, if you need a refresher you may be able to buy the book or materials from them.

What if you lose the hard copy of your immunization certification? Can the school reissue you another one?

What if you lose the hard copy of your immunization certification? Can the school reissue you another one?

I was wondering that myself. . . I still have a copy of the certification, but if I lost it I was wondering what would happen :S I should make a copy of it!!! I would contact my school if I lost the certificate and see if they could send me another hard copy of it.

My certificate is through APhA. I was able to save an electronic copy and print it whenever I need to. I think it's also online so I can log in and view it if I ever need to. I was told to keep a copy for myself, to give one to the school to have on file, and to keep one in my folder with other papers (like health forms, my immunization record, etc).

I was wondering that myself. . . I still have a copy of the certification, but if I lost it I was wondering what would happen :S I should make a copy of it!!! I would contact my school if I lost the certificate and see if they could send me another hard copy of it.

I think you can copy it. I know before the electronic form that you could request another copy of your certificate, although I think you have to pay a fee though.

No prob for the info chibipinkneko :)

Regarding above...I had a problem in the past with lost certificates...particularly that one. Before you turn your house upside down looking for it...you can call APhA and they have your certificate on record. It will cost you $25 to re-issue the certificate (may be more now, this was 2 years ago). If you are still a member and you've lost your certificate you may be able to look it up like it was mentioned above. I was not a member at the time and haven't been since so I never had that opportunity.