Immunizations! Questions....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Koala327

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!!

I haven't seen a thread on this yet and I wanted to gather people's thoughts and opinions. I just went to the doc today to get all my updated immunizations, TB test, blood draw, etc...that's required for the program. First of all, OUCH. 4 updated shots, a TB test, and a blood draw, plus a physical made for no fun.

Anyways, my question to you is what are everyone else's stance on immunizations? I know that we need them to get into the program and such ( and I don't want to compromise that in any way by refusing) but down the road, have other people refused to get an annual flu shot or any updated immunizations? Until today, I haven't had a flu shot in 7 years. I know the topic of immunizations is a controversial one and people believe different things, but I just wanted to poll SDN to see what everyone thought!

Members don't see this ad.

Flu shots may not be extremely important to your institution, but they are necessary when it comes to your clinical rotations. Facilities won't let you come if you don't have it, along with all of the other required immunizations. This also applies when you are out of school and working. You could potentially be fired if you don't comply with their rules. In the end, you work in the health field and can be exposed to some nasty illnesses/diseases. It's best to stay up to date on all of your immunizations for your health and the health of your patients.

Reactions: 1 user
A PT I shadowed doesn't get flu shots because they make her sick even though where she works (outpatient ortho clinic) requires them. As far as I know, there weren't any repurcussions for her choosing not to get the flu shot. Also, one of my friends chooses not to get flu shots and when she was shadowing, clinics just made her wear a surgical mask. So it definitely seems possible if you don't want to get a flu shot, maybe just a little inconvenient. I'm not sure about other immunizations though.

Members don't see this ad :)
A PT I shadowed doesn't get flu shots because they make her sick even though where she works (outpatient ortho clinic) requires them. As far as I know, there weren't any repurcussions for her choosing not to get the flu shot. Also, one of my friends chooses not to get flu shots and when she was shadowing, clinics just made her wear a surgical mask. So it definitely seems possible if you don't want to get a flu shot, maybe just a little inconvenient. I'm not sure about other immunizations though.
I'm sure there is a difference in the rules between shadowing and actually doing a clinical rotation as a PT student, which is probably why your friend was okay with just a surgical mask.

I shadowed under a clinician who did not get the flu shot. Yep, she just wore a surgical mask....everyday....all the time.....(in flu season).