Immunizations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kytt

Reaction score
When should I start getting the required immunizations to get into medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

You do not need to look into this if you are a few years from applying. The school you matriculate to will give the information regarding which immunizations to get.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When should I start getting the required immunizations to get into medical school?
I'd say, some time after you complete all of your secondaries. Possibly after all of your interviews, depending on how late in the season you're interviewing. You could also wait until you're accepted and commit to one school. They'll give you a deadline to get the paperwork in.

Reactions: 1 users
The big one at my school at least is the hepatitis b, because it’s required and many people don’t keep their childhood immunity. It also takes a few months to get reimmunized and then get a titer proving immunity. If you’re fully vaccinated as far as the normal vaccines you get during childhood, you shouldn’t really need to worry. Tdap is good for 10 years, so if you want to go get a tdap, go for it, but you should have time between acceptance and matriculation.

Reactions: 2 users
The only thing would add, is try to keep your documentation on immunizations if you get any from this point on. It may make your life easier when you finally apply.

I discovered that if the clinic you use uses MyChart, there is an "Immunizations" tab you can print as a PDF.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely when they tell you to, after your student health record is established at the school you will attend. You'll be reminded, and in general there will be a plan to get caught up in those shot that you are lacking or need a HepB/TB titer, etc. Remember, that the medical school/university will usually pay for those required immunizations if you wait (or alternatively, it's included in your fees).

The HBV is very annoying and I would get started on it right after getting accepted. It’s like a 6 month series (depends on vaccine) then getting titers checked a month after that. Granted most schools will let you start even if it’s in progress.

Edit: most schools only require if titers are below some threshold iirc

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The HBV is very annoying and I would get started on it right after getting accepted. It’s like a 6 month series (depends on vaccine) then getting titers checked a month after that. Granted most schools will let you start even if it’s in progress.

Edit: most schools only require if titers are below some threshold iirc
Every school is going to allow you to start. As long as you are working on it.

Immunizations really only matter once you start clinical rotations third year. As mentioned above, any immunizations you need to get caught up on are often included in a health fee or if you have your universities student health plan they are included in that.

Basically worrying about your immunizations right now is pointless. Focus on getting accepted first.

Status
Not open for further replies.