Will this be seen as a "third" retake (lower div immune system vs. more advanced immunology)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IcedCoffeeOnly

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Back when I was doing my stats/math degree, I took a lower division "Immune System/Disease" class as a GE (4 years ago). I failed the class with a NP (No Credit), and retook it for a P (Credit). I did not receive a letter grade for the class.

Now, I'm starting to take all biology/chem classes in a postbac, and doing well so far. There is a "Fundamentals of Immunology" class that covers the immune system at a more advanced level that I want to take.

BUT I already have 2 "Immune System/Disease" classes on my undergrad transcript (one NP, one P). If I enroll in "Fundamentals of Immunology," will this be seen as a THIRD "retake"? The college is completely different, and the course numbering is different as well. Should I avoid taking "Fundamentals of Immunology" since I already took a similar sounding class 4 years ago (twice)? I don't want to spend $800 on the class if it's going to be seen as a third retake (even though it wouldn't be at a course content level).

Members don't see this ad.

Na you’re good man. It’s a different class still so AMCAS will not average it out. The real question becomes will AMCAS count those previous classes as part of your BCPM or not.

Na you’re good man. It’s a different class still so AMCAS will not average it out. The real question becomes will AMCAS count those previous classes as part of your BCPM or not.

Since the previous classes were taken C/NC, they won't be counted in GPA at all. What I'm worried about is how it'll be perceived by adcoms... the classes sound similar, but "Fundamentals of Immunology" definitely goes more in depth, since I remember "Immune System/Disease" being very introductory. I just don't want to make sure the class I might enroll in now will not be viewed in the same light as my previous ones.

Thoughts @Goro @gonnif @LizzyM ?