• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Immunology

BestDoctorEver

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2009
  1. Medical Student
    Which of the following statements about MHC I and MHC II is NOT true?

A. MHC I is found on antigen presenting cells.

B. MHC II is found on all nucleated cells.

C. MHC I presents peptide fragments to cytotoxic T cells via the CD8 receptor.

D. MHC II presents peptide fragments to helper T cells via the CD4 receptor

I got the right answer because I know C and D are true but I did not know the difference between A and B...It was a 50/50 between A and B and I ended up choosing B, which is right...Is the MCAT going be that specific? Can someone elaborate on A and B?

edit......

Last edited:

FutureDoctor503

A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
    5+ Year Member
    Apr 13, 2011
    1. Pre-Medical
      Which of the following statements about MHC I and MHC II is NOT true?

A. MHC I is found on antigen presenting cells.

B. MHC II is found on all nucleated cells.

C. MHC I presents peptide fragments to cytotoxic T cells via the CD8 receptor.

D. MHC II presents peptide fragments to helper T cells via the CD4 receptor

I got the right answer because I know C and D are true but I did not know the difference between A and B...It was a 50/50 between A and B and I ended up choosing B, which is right...Is the MCAT going be that specific? Can someone elaborate on A and B?

edit......

Statement A is correct because MHC I is found on ALL nucleated cells, this includes antigen presenting cells. However, Statement B is incorrect because MHC II is NOT found on ALL nucleated cells; it is only found on antigen presenting cells.

About the Ads

SaintJude

Jan 4, 2012
      1. Pre-Medical
        Think of it like the "rule of 8":

8 x 1 = 8

4 x 2 = 8

The answer should always be 8.

So, MHC I presents to CD8 T-cells (8 x 1 = 8) and MHC II presents to CD4 T-cells (4 x 2 = 8).

That's brilliant. I'll remember that even for medschool. You really could write a MCAT bio prep book better anyone out there at the moment. :thumbup:

MedPR

Membership Revoked
        Removed
        Dec 1, 2011
        1. Pre-Podiatry
          Think of it like the "rule of 8":

8 x 1 = 8

4 x 2 = 8

The answer should always be 8.

So, MHC I presents to CD8 T-cells (8 x 1 = 8) and MHC II presents to CD4 T-cells (4 x 2 = 8).

This is true and is commonly taught in immunology/physiology classes, but it doesn't help you answer this question if you already know C and D are wrong.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.