Immunology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BestDoctorEver

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which of the following statements about MHC I and MHC II is NOT true?

A. MHC I is found on antigen presenting cells.

B. MHC II is found on all nucleated cells.

C. MHC I presents peptide fragments to cytotoxic T cells via the CD8 receptor.

D. MHC II presents peptide fragments to helper T cells via the CD4 receptor

I got the right answer because I know C and D are true but I did not know the difference between A and B...It was a 50/50 between A and B and I ended up choosing B, which is right...Is the MCAT going be that specific? Can someone elaborate on A and B?

edit......

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Which of the following statements about MHC I and MHC II is NOT true?

A. MHC I is found on antigen presenting cells.

B. MHC II is found on all nucleated cells.

C. MHC I presents peptide fragments to cytotoxic T cells via the CD8 receptor.

D. MHC II presents peptide fragments to helper T cells via the CD4 receptor

I got the right answer because I know C and D are true but I did not know the difference between A and B...It was a 50/50 between A and B and I ended up choosing B, which is right...Is the MCAT going be that specific? Can someone elaborate on A and B?

edit......

Statement A is correct because MHC I is found on ALL nucleated cells, this includes antigen presenting cells. However, Statement B is incorrect because MHC II is NOT found on ALL nucleated cells; it is only found on antigen presenting cells.

all nucleated cells(including antigen presenting cells) contain MHC class 1

only antigen presenting cells also have MHC class 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
Think of it like the "rule of 8":

8 x 1 = 8

4 x 2 = 8

The answer should always be 8.

So, MHC I presents to CD8 T-cells (8 x 1 = 8) and MHC II presents to CD4 T-cells (4 x 2 = 8).

That's brilliant. I'll remember that even for medschool. You really could write a MCAT bio prep book better anyone out there at the moment. :thumbup:

Think of it like the "rule of 8":

8 x 1 = 8

4 x 2 = 8

The answer should always be 8.

So, MHC I presents to CD8 T-cells (8 x 1 = 8) and MHC II presents to CD4 T-cells (4 x 2 = 8).

This is true and is commonly taught in immunology/physiology classes, but it doesn't help you answer this question if you already know C and D are wrong.