You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Immunosuppressed patients and sushi?
Started by Sparda29
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Concern is for V. Vulnificus.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Properly stored and prepared it should be fine, similar to the myth that pregnant people shouldn't eat nigiri/sashimi.
Actually it depends on the txp.
I would avoid it. Worms and bacteria exist even in clean, fresh fish. Why take the risk if you don't have an immune system to back you up?
A quick example of an article talking about tapeworm associated with fish consumption (see page 2 for a disturbing 150 year old drawing of tapeworm infection!): http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/15/6/pdfs/09-0132.pdf
A quick example of an article talking about tapeworm associated with fish consumption (see page 2 for a disturbing 150 year old drawing of tapeworm infection!): http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/15/6/pdfs/09-0132.pdf
Last edited:
I may be wrong but all sushi in the us is frozen to kill parasites. It's like law or something
I may be wrong but all sushi in the us is frozen to kill parasites. It's like law or something
I believe so, I read the law a while ago, but I can't find it. It's like X degrees for X # of days, but variances apply. I've been to places that will filet a fish that was just alive when I walked in, so it probably didn't apply there.
All I'm gonna say is that I've seen a patient that was immunocompromised get a severe infection from eating something they probably weren't supposed to shortly after a surgery. That patient almost died. It was one of the weirdest things I've ever seen in my life....
Vibrio parahaemolyticus is the leading cause of bacterial gastroenteritis in Japan...I think they eat a lot of sushi over there, but might be mistaken. It's pretty much universal on shellfish.
Most transplant centers recommend avoiding raw meats/fish after transplant (forever), as do the KDOQI guidelines. Not aware of any literature to support this, but given the risk/benefit ratio, it would seem to be prudent.
Most transplant centers recommend avoiding raw meats/fish after transplant (forever), as do the KDOQI guidelines. Not aware of any literature to support this, but given the risk/benefit ratio, it would seem to be prudent.
All I'm gonna say is that I've seen a patient that was immunocompromised get a severe infection from eating something they probably weren't supposed to shortly after a surgery. That patient almost died. It was one of the weirdest things I've ever seen in my life....
what did they eat?
bread😱
What what the surgery for?
What what the surgery for?
Lets just say that I doubt I'll ever see mold growing out of someone's abdomen like that ever again. Rhizopus Stolonifer. And I mean, it was every where. 😱
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 434
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K