Impact of a bankruptcy on financing medical school (MD program)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wormboge

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the impact of a personal bankruptcy (by the student) on financing medical school (MD program)? After a bankruptcy, how long will it take to get private loans again? Is it possible to attend without private loans? Cosigners are not available.

Members don't see this ad.

You will have a very difficult time. Even state schools have cost of attendance in the $40-50k/year range and I believe Stafford loans max at about $20,500/year. You can’t get GradPLUS for 10 years after bankruptcy without a co-signer. You’re unlikely to qualify for private loans, especially with little or no income during school.

Are you sure absolutely nobody will co-sign GradPLUS loans? Otherwise you may be out of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will have a very difficult time. Even state schools have cost of attendance in the $40-50k/year range and I believe Stafford loans max at about $20,500/year. You can’t get GradPLUS for 10 years after bankruptcy without a co-signer. You’re unlikely to qualify for private loans, especially with little or no income during school.

Are you sure absolutely nobody will co-sign GradPLUS loans? Otherwise you may be out of luck.

This is incorrect advice. The maximum stafford loan amount per year for professional students is $40,500. OP how long ago was your bankruptcy?

This is incorrect advice. The maximum stafford loan amount per year for professional students is $40,500. OP how long ago was your bankruptcy?

You’re right, $40,500 for medical school. But even the cheapest in-state schools are higher than this in total COA. Maybe you can live especially frugally at some medical schools and take out only $40,500, which will be less than the COA max.

In terms of grad plus it's fairly easy to qualify. Bankruptcy may make it difficult but it depends how long ago (typically must be for more than 5 years unless there were some extenuating circumstances around the bankruptcy). It also depends on the type of bankruptcy. Someone who had a bankruptcy shouldn't really be thinking frugally about where or if they really should be going to medical school as there is a large temptation throughout the 20s in running up more debt. There are a few opportunities to make some cash during medical school but a lot depends on overall plans and how efficient someone is.

In terms of grad plus it's fairly easy to qualify. Bankruptcy may make it difficult but it depends how long ago (typically must be for more than 5 years unless there were some extenuating circumstances around the bankruptcy). It also depends on the type of bankruptcy. Someone who had a bankruptcy shouldn't really be thinking frugally about where or if they really should be going to medical school as there is a large temptation throughout the 20s in running up more debt. There are a few opportunities to make some cash during medical school but a lot depends on overall plans and how efficient someone is.

Bankruptcy makes it impossible to get a GradPLUS loan for 5 years. Unless you get a co-signer, which is what I recommend, if at all possible.

Bankruptcy makes it impossible to get a GradPLUS loan for 5 years. Unless you get a co-signer, which is what I recommend, if at all possible.

Isn't that what I said? Though it's not absolutely impossible. I would guess if one was serving in the military and something catastrophic happens it might be seen as an extenuating circumstance that would make one eligible again despite a bankruptcy. Since we have no idea what happened with the OP who knows.