impact of amcas delay on IIs this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aiethela

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How different is this cycle in terms of IIs, etc.?

I completed my primary in june, but was not verified until early August due to delay.

I finished all the secondaries & completed all the applications by mid to-late August at the latest. I have >74 LizzyM, good ecs with leadership + clinical experience, although I don't have any publication to highlight my 2.5 years of research.

So far, out of 20 I applied to, i only heard back from 7, being 4 IIs (2 scheduled next year), 2 rejections, 1 pre-interview hold ( and 1 post-interview waitlist).

5 schools I applied to are non-rolling, so that leaves me still 8 more schools (except one of them, all are 2 or more pts lower than my score) that haven't gotten back to me for past 3 months. These schools seem to have already started handing out acceptances.

I know I should be grateful as there are people out there who are still waiting on just 1 II, but I felt like I needed some advices.

My questions were:

1) is being complete in August this cycle still considered "early"?

2) Is silence mainly due to some flags in my application? or just being not the one that finished in July? Or the admissions office is especially busy this year due to the idiosyncratic cycle? (probably the answer is a combination of three, but just wondering which is a bigger factor... :unsure: )

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I applied to 18 schools, submitted AMCAS on 7/6/2013, took MCAT on 7/13, MCAT received 8/13, AMCAS verified 8/23, received a boatload of secondaries, which were completed between 8/23 - 9/3/2013. So far 4 rejections, 4 interview invites, 2 pre-interview holds, 1 acceptance. Silence from all the others, as I am OOS for all these too, except 1.

Not early, but not late, seems that the late August/Early Sept are right in the middle of the application batch. My stats are just okay MCAT 33, cGPA 3.75, sGPA 3.85. Earlier would have been better, but later would have definitely been worse. Noticed after I submitted secondaries, some typos, sigh. But not sure if silence is due to my sloppiness versus too many applicants for too few spaces.

Keep your spirits up, you have 4 interviews. Just focus on prepping for the interview (these SDN forums have been very helpful).

How different is this cycle in terms of IIs, etc.?

I completed my primary in june, but was not verified until early August due to delay.

I finished all the secondaries & completed all the applications by mid to-late August at the latest. I have >74 LizzyM, good ecs with leadership + clinical experience, although I don't have any publication to highlight my 2.5 years of research.

So far, out of 20 I applied to, i only heard back from 7, being 4 IIs (2 scheduled next year), 2 rejections, 1 pre-interview hold ( and 1 post-interview waitlist).

I don't think you should worry, especially since you already have 4 IIs and that means you have great odds already. For what it's worth, I am in a similar position and I have 4 IIs and 2 rejections out of 28 schools, leaving 22 silent on what I think is a reasonably strong application. Still a lot of time left in this application cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Same boat, sooo much silence.