Non-Major but Medical Related Class Impact on Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kirvoyant

Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I was wondering if taking classes such as Medical Ethics or Biomedical Research Ethics would impact my application at all considering they're not technically BCPM classes

**edit: I'm also interested in doing a Dementia Care class where I do visits at patient's homes and such

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Under which department does the course fall into?

I am assuming philosophy, and so will be a non-BCPM class. If it is under the biology department, then it will be counted as a BCPM class.

If it fulfills a graduation requirement and interests you, it sounds like a good choice. Check Rate My Professor or other database to be sure the instructor is not a turd. If you do well, the instructor could serve as a non-science faculty letter writer.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's nice to have. Most of us recognize getting an A in ethics does not mean you are competent in ethics. (You may hear others emphasize it to prepare for SJTs, but that's not clear that you must have a medical ethics course over having "common sense.")

Reactions: 1 users
It's nice to have. Most of us recognize getting an A in ethics does not mean you are competent in ethics. (You may hear others emphasize it to prepare for SJTs, but that's not clear that you must have a medical ethics course over having "common sense.")
Would it show dedicated interest though?

No.

Interest, yes, but you should be taking classes that interest you
Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely interested in the class and would probably take it regardless of how it impacted my application. I was just wondering how it would impact it if at all. Thanks for the response though!

Nobody is going to notice you took the class unless you specifically talk about it in your personal statement or a secondary essay. With thousands of applications to read, they're going to really focus just on your GPA and if you took the appropriate pre-reqs.

Reactions: 1 user
Nobody is going to notice you took the class unless you specifically talk about it in your personal statement or a secondary essay. With thousands of applications to read, they're going to really focus just on your GPA and if you took the appropriate pre-reqs.
And in some schools, interviewers may be blinded to some or all of your app.

I see a list of courses but not grades. I always assume that something like this fulfills a gen-ed requirement with something that is relevant to pre-meds. Doesn't make me more attracted to a candidate.
Thanks for your input! I've decided to take the class and hopefully learn more stuff about patient-contact care nonetheless.

That's interesting. Do you know which schools are app-blind?
There is no solid answer for any school. It can change year-to-year.

Some schools have "closed file" interviews and some have partially open files (grades and scores masked), and some are completely open file. As of this year, some (most? all?) schools now restrict access to the info on race and ethnicity. I've also noticed that my school is no longer providing the photo that we used to have of each person we interviewed.

Reactions: 1 users
That's interesting. Do you know which schools are app-blind?
App-blind? I don't understand what you mean.

The admissions leadership should have access to all germane information with your application. We then restrict or redact information based on a screener, interviewer, or assessor's role in the process. We redact names, photos, educational institutions, race/ethnicity, SES, GPA, test scores, or any other potentially biasing information. To what extent will depend on the admissions leadership.

MMI's are generally closed file except your name and your photo (usually). Conversational or group interviews will depend on need-to-know.

App-blind? I don't understand what you mean.

The admissions leadership should have access to all germane information with your application. We then restrict or redact information based on a screener, interviewer, or assessor's role in the process. We redact names, photos, educational institutions, race/ethnicity, SES, GPA, test scores, or any other potentially biasing information. To what extent will depend on the admissions leadership.

MMI's are generally closed file except your name and your photo (usually). Conversational or group interviews will depend on need-to-know.
Sounds good! I was just referring to a previous user's post about interviewers not looking at grade's at all

Sounds good! I was just referring to a previous user's post about interviewers not looking at grade's at all
I mean, some get access and some don't with conversation interviews. Some are open file, but they won't read until after your interview.