dr37

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Status
Dentist
Hi,

What will be the minimum and maximum numbers of Implants to be used in Maxilla and Mandible for a completely edentulous patient?

Thnx.

DrJeff

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2000
Brooklyn, ct
Status
Dentist
Hi,

What will be the minimum and maximum numbers of Implants to be used in Maxilla and Mandible for a completely edentulous patient?

Thnx.
Minimum - 1

Maximum - 16+ (let's throw some mini's inbetween the "big guys" for temp retention sake ;) )

TOTALLY depends on the type of final restoration you're going to do, (implant retained over denture, vs. fully implant supported bridge vs. a full arch of individual implant supported crowns, etc

Bottomline, there is no standard answer to that question

armorshell

One Man Freak Show
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2006
Status
Non-Student
I saw a pano at a course last weekend of an edentulous maxilla with 24 implants placed (They decided to restore every single missing root with an implant, eg. 3 implants per molar)

OceanDMD

Rather be fishing
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2006
Status
Dentist
I saw a pano at a course last weekend of an edentulous maxilla with 24 implants placed (They decided to restore every single missing root with an implant, eg. 3 implants per molar)

I personally think this is a bit excessive, but hey, if there going to pay for it and they are informed of all options......

Tooth

Orthodontist
10+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2005
Status
Non-Student
bs meter is going off here.

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
Indianapolis
Status
Attending Physician, Dentist
Minimum: 0
Maximum: 32
Maximum (w/implant-supported mesiodens): 33

Oracle DMD

Chuck NOracle DMD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2008
San Diego
Status
Dentist

mike3kgt

Hopefully scuba diving
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2004
Status
Dentist
Anybody find this in the literature? I'd love to have a copy of this pano.

Maybe it was from Misch. He loves putting implants in everywhere (and in between).

:D

omaralt

10+ Year Member
May 31, 2004
Status
Dentist
That is either BS or whoever did thi should loose their license. I can't imagine how u can fit 3 implants in an area for a molar. I atteneded a course where this guy only did full mouth re-habs and never used more than 8 implants in the maxilla. He restored with 4 3-unit bridges. Seems like an ideal solution

og2

Oct 1, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
That is either BS or whoever did thi should loose their license. I can't imagine how u can fit 3 implants in an area for a molar. I atteneded a course where this guy only did full mouth re-habs and never used more than 8 implants in the maxilla. He restored with 4 3-unit bridges. Seems like an ideal solution
haha, i've seen replacement of every root on a pano before. this was in japan, but i'm sure it's happened in the states somewhere or another.