Implants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr37

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

What will be the minimum and maximum numbers of Implants to be used in Maxilla and Mandible for a completely edentulous patient?

Thnx.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

What will be the minimum and maximum numbers of Implants to be used in Maxilla and Mandible for a completely edentulous patient?

Thnx.

Minimum - 1

Maximum - 16+ (let's throw some mini's inbetween the "big guys" for temp retention sake ;) )

TOTALLY depends on the type of final restoration you're going to do, (implant retained over denture, vs. fully implant supported bridge vs. a full arch of individual implant supported crowns, etc

Bottomline, there is no standard answer to that question

I saw a pano at a course last weekend of an edentulous maxilla with 24 implants placed (They decided to restore every single missing root with an implant, eg. 3 implants per molar)

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw a pano at a course last weekend of an edentulous maxilla with 24 implants placed (They decided to restore every single missing root with an implant, eg. 3 implants per molar)

I personally think this is a bit excessive, but hey, if there going to pay for it and they are informed of all options......

Anybody find this in the literature? I'd love to have a copy of this pano.

Maybe it was from Misch. He loves putting implants in everywhere (and in between).

:D

That is either BS or whoever did thi should loose their license. I can't imagine how u can fit 3 implants in an area for a molar. I atteneded a course where this guy only did full mouth re-habs and never used more than 8 implants in the maxilla. He restored with 4 3-unit bridges. Seems like an ideal solution

That is either BS or whoever did thi should loose their license. I can't imagine how u can fit 3 implants in an area for a molar. I atteneded a course where this guy only did full mouth re-habs and never used more than 8 implants in the maxilla. He restored with 4 3-unit bridges. Seems like an ideal solution

haha, i've seen replacement of every root on a pano before. this was in japan, but i'm sure it's happened in the states somewhere or another.