Implications of visa for my family

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrIng

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Just wondering is anyone knows- what are the implications for my family of the various types of visa that you can apply for. In particular, would my husband be able to work in the US because of my job, as would happen with a green card? Any help appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by DrIng
Hi,
Just wondering is anyone knows- what are the implications for my family of the various types of visa that you can apply for. In particular, would my husband be able to work in the US because of my job, as would happen with a green card? Any help appreciated.

If you have a greencard, there is a bureaucratic process that would allow for the chance to bring him over but the work visa would be temporary at best until he had a set status in the US.

Sorry didn't explain myself well. What I was actually was asking is if I get a H1B or J1 visa does that carry over so that my husband can work or does he have to apply for one separately through whatever employment he finds?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by DrIng
Sorry didn't explain myself well. What I was actually was asking is if I get a H1B or J1 visa does that carry over so that my husband can work or does he have to apply for one separately through whatever employment he finds?

As far as I know, unless you are a citizen or permanent resident, you cannot piggyback your significant other into the US.

If you get an H1B, your spouse can get an H4 and live here but cannot work. If you get a J1, spouse will get a J2 and can work anywhere.

Check out the USCIS website for details, though.

Thank you. I guess the main thing is with a H4 visa my husband can apply for his own work visa as necessary. Thanks.