Importace of studying plants

Started by 1AO KTG
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

1AO KTG

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there any significance I'm so sick of it, most depressing thing in my life right now. I can't even eat a salad for lunch anymore. I'm thinking about slacking on the projects (s)!, so time consuming. Will med schools even care about a B in any Botany course?
 
Last edited:
Is there any signigance? I'm so sick of it, most depressing thing in my life right now. I can't even eat a salad for lunch anymore. I'm thinking about slacking on the projects (s)!, so time consuming. Will med schools even care about a B in any Botany course?

The finer points of plant biology are not very applicable to the MCAT or medical school. The only thing that may come close are the parasitic/pathogenic organisms that are usually studied in a plant bio course (eg fungi).
 
Dude I had similar thoughts when we did photosynthesis in gruesome detail in bio. Keep going at it, and I don't think Bs are bad for med school in general as long as you have a good amount of As in other science courses to compensate.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The finer points of plant biology are not very applicable to the MCAT or medical school. The only thing that may come close are the parasitic/pathogenic organisms that are usually studied in a plant bio course (eg fungi).

+1, Plants are so weird! I did virology research and even that has little application. Research is research, you do it to learn how to investigate an issue, not to prepare yourself better for standardized testing. Its nice to get a grasp on how to read research papers early though. I still somewhat struggle, but my experiences did help.
 
Everyone hates on plants! I love them so much I took a plant physiology class. It is really hard, but I think it is awesome understanding the organisms that allow me to walk around and breathe everyday.

Thanks plants....
 
Everyone hates on plants! I love them so much I took a plant physiology class. It is really hard, but I think it is awesome understanding the organisms that allow me to walk around and breathe everyday.

Thanks plants....

land based plants are not the major contributor to our oxygen supply... only ~20%

you have phytoplankton to thank for breaking and walking around

plants are soooooooooooo boring.

if i had to continue my biology degree i would've had to take more plant biology in 3rd year. thank god i got out of that 🙂
 
land based plants are not the major contributor to our oxygen supply... only ~20%

you have phytoplankton to thank for breaking and walking around

plants are soooooooooooo boring.

if i had to continue my biology degree i would've had to take more plant biology in 3rd year. thank god i got out of that 🙂

True. Still...take away all terrestrial plants and things would be quite different.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Plants are actually quite interesting, but you need the right book. Botany: An Introduction to Plant Biology 4e by James D. Mauseth is a worthwhile book to study. 😎
 
lol why you so mad?




+1

1df28bfb-bdfc-4878-9e33-354f5905a9cf.jpg


😎
 
This is exactly why you don't major in bio.

I'd argue that. I'm majoring in Bio and I've taken only 1 course that's considered "plantsy". The rest of my courses had to do with cell bio, molecular bio, animal phys, evolutionary genetics, etc. We generally get to choose between a plants course and an animal alternative (like in physiology) and most of the people just pick the animal one. I'm taking an ecology course right now but the rest of my courses have nothing to do with plants at all.
 
I'd argue that. I'm majoring in Bio and I've taken only 1 course that's considered "plantsy". The rest of my courses had to do with cell bio, molecular bio, animal phys, evolutionary genetics, etc. We generally get to choose between a plants course and an animal alternative (like in physiology) and most of the people just pick the animal one. I'm taking an ecology course right now but the rest of my courses have nothing to do with plants at all.

n=1
 
I'd argue that. I'm majoring in Bio and I've taken only 1 course that's considered "plantsy". The rest of my courses had to do with cell bio, molecular bio, animal phys, evolutionary genetics, etc. We generally get to choose between a plants course and an animal alternative (like in physiology) and most of the people just pick the animal one. I'm taking an ecology course right now but the rest of my courses have nothing to do with plants at all.

Yeah, I am a biology major too. And besides the plant anatomy/physiology unit in general bio 2, I haven't had to take a plants course. I am only enrolled in one right now because I needed another upper-level biology to graduate. And I much rather prefer plants over ecology. So technically I wouldn't have needed to take another plant related course.
 
I'd argue that. I'm majoring in Bio and I've taken only 1 course that's considered "plantsy". The rest of my courses had to do with cell bio, molecular bio, animal phys, evolutionary genetics, etc. We generally get to choose between a plants course and an animal alternative (like in physiology) and most of the people just pick the animal one. I'm taking an ecology course right now but the rest of my courses have nothing to do with plants at all.
That's one "plantsy" course too many.
 
I was a biol majors and I never once took that plant bs. You had the option to, but i opted out.
 
I hateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee plantsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss gaghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

👎