Importance genetics for boards and clinical years??

Started by license43
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

There are a good amount of high yield genetic disorders you will need to know, ex HOCM, Fragile X, etc. Likewise understanding bacterial genetics ex lac operon is probably high enough yield. Knowing that some chemo agents affect x thing is probably worth knowing, though most questions will probably be focused on side effects.

Tbh first aid probably covers most step 1 relevant genetics pretty well.
 
I would take genetics over pre-maturely learning management as an MS-2 any day of the week if it got me a high step I score (and management is high yield for step 2).
 
Sorry I did not understand that. Can you explain again?

Our school is teaching us management of patients. For example, if a person had a massive pulmonary embolism would you use a d-dimer or CT scan with contrast as your first step? Then what would be the next step after this? This is extremely important in the context of clinical years, but is a huge time sink that is taking away from step I learning. I've seen multitudes of genetics questions that are not on our MS-2 exams but were definitely on Uworld. So I would rather learn the molecular stuff properly first before learning management (which is far more important in 3rd year).