Importance of 2nd looks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kstater

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious what everyones opinion of 2nd looks were. From talking to others, it seems more important in ob/gyn than other fields to express your interest in a program by returning for another look. Is this more for the applicant's sake or does it really make a difference in ranking? Luckily most of the programs I am looking at are within driving distance, but if you were traveling a significant distance, this could get pretty pricey.

Members don't see this ad.

i have interviewed at places both near and far. all have encouraged second looks for those that could do it, but they also are aware that it isn't very possible if you live far away. in these cases, they just want you to let them know if you are very interested. i got the distinct impression at one of my interviews that unless you called back or visited again, you would not be ranked highly. they made it clear that they really wanted to match people who really wanted to be there. i would think that it certainly would affect ranking if you show a sincere interest in a program.

for me, i have two top choices, one close to home, one far away. i will be keeping in contact with both PD's to express my interest, and go on a second look to the close program. when i figure out who will be number one, i will let that program know.

neilc said:
i have interviewed at places both near and far. all have encouraged second looks for those that could do it, but they also are aware that it isn't very possible if you live far away. in these cases, they just want you to let them know if you are very interested. i got the distinct impression at one of my interviews that unless you called back or visited again, you would not be ranked highly. they made it clear that they really wanted to match people who really wanted to be there. i would think that it certainly would affect ranking if you show a sincere interest in a program.

for me, i have two top choices, one close to home, one far away. i will be keeping in contact with both PD's to express my interest, and go on a second look to the close program. when i figure out who will be number one, i will let that program know.

Thats wonderful advice Neil, (I know, why am I always visiting the obgyn board :p ) I just wanted to add that my dean expressed to us that our top program should be revisited, now that was just my school -- I'm not sure every school has this policy.

Good luck! :luck: