Importance of a chair's letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pocket-medicine

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have heard mixed opinions regarding a LoR from the chair. A lot of people have told me that it is highly recommended. My dept chair, however, claims that it is not necessary and will only write a letter if I've worked with him extensively. I have had limited encounter with him in the OR and I don't want to harass him for a letter when he's made his point pretty clear. He will likely write me a generic letter based on my CV and personal statement if I really *need* one. What are your thoughts on this matter?
I have been promised a letter from my third year clerkship director - does that have any weight?
 
A significant number of programs require a chair letter.

The chair at my med school and my residency writes a letter for every student going into surgery.

If your clerkship director, or the program director, is more approachable I'd seek out their advice on how to proceed.