Importance of a Minor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

munchy609

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about minoring in Biology, but everyone that I have spoken to say that minors aren't important and make no difference. Does any one have any opinions about minoring and if a minor is important or relevant to your application?
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm thinking about minoring in Biology, but everyone that I have spoken to say that minors aren't important and make no difference. Does any one have any opinions about minoring and if a minor is important or relevant to your application?
Thank you.

Not relevant, take the classes you're interested in learning about. Don't be so cookie cutter.

Not relevant, take the classes you're interested in learning about. Don't be so cookie cutter.

I agree. Every school I've talked to has said "Do the pre-req's, then beyond that take whatever interests you." I was not a science major or minor, and I felt like that allowed some great talking points in my interviews (as to why I did what I did and then why optometry). Not to say that minoring or majoring in a science is any kind of bad thing either. If you end up minoring in Bio because there are enough classes that really interest you, great! I wouldn't take extra classes just to get that though either. It usually isn't put on your diploma anyway, just on your transcript.