Importance of an Away Rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolverinesfan911

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am a 3rd year medical student highly interested in anesthesia. To give a bit more info about my application: I come from a lesser known US-MD school and scored a 232 on my STEP1. I have a couple of poster presentations and 2 rotation honors with the other 4 rotations of mine being passes. Haven't taken STEP2 yet. Other than that nothing too much else to add in regards to my application. If this is the case, do you all think that I should do an away rotation in order to match? My home institution does offer an anesthesia rotation, but there are not any residents here. I was hoping that doing the rotation at my home institution would be sufficient in order to get a rec letter and eventually match somewhere but I am not sure what the expectation is.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
take a look at this thread

Hello all, I am a 3rd year medical student highly interested in anesthesia. To give a bit more info about my application: I come from a lesser known US-MD school and scored a 232 on my STEP1. I have a couple of poster presentations and 2 rotation honors with the other 4 rotations of mine being passes. Haven't taken STEP2 yet. Other than that nothing too much else to add in regards to my application. If this is the case, do you all think that I should do an away rotation in order to match? My home institution does offer an anesthesia rotation, but there are not any residents here. I was hoping that doing the rotation at my home institution would be sufficient in order to get a rec letter and eventually match somewhere but I am not sure what the expectation is.

I think the reason you haven’t had many responses is because this is a pretty common topic. I thought i had written about it before but can’t find the posts.

Anyways, I also went to an MD school without an anesthesia residency program. It was recommended but not mandatory for us to do an away. People talk about getting letters but my application was submitted before my rotation. I saw the rotation as an opportunity to go check out a program and city with a beach where it was still summer in October. I think it can help you get the vibe of a program and city as well as give you exposure to residents who can give you valuable feedback on interviewing and program selection.

A lot of the students i did the away with ended up going to that program for residency. I saw a similar trend with students doing aways where I ended up doing residency. As an MD applicant with decent stats you will match somewhere without an away.

If you’re going to do one, i recommend doing it prior to interview season (mid-October through December is peak interview season). It can be awkward asking for time off to interview and May irritate people if you frequently look at your phone/email to check for interview invites during an away.