Importance of away rotations

Started by Pyroclast
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Pyroclast

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OK, the more I try and figure out my schedule for 4th year, the more I realize how hard it will be to do a single away rotation with the limited elective time my school offers, finding a dogsitter for a month, etc. I'm wondering if anyone can give me an idea of exactly how important away rotations really are in PM&R? I have a Step 1 of 227, honored a few classes the first 2 years, am getting good evaluations year 3, have already done two "mini-rotations" at my local program and will rotate there again next year, did PM&R research with poster but didn't publish, and have some volunteer experience. Next year I could do local electives in sports medicine and ortho, spend 2-4 weeks doing EMGs, and get some really useful training here at my home school with my short elective time.

So does anyone think that *not* doing an away rotation would keep me out of a top-tier program? A mid-tier program? I hope I'd still be able to match at some program somewhere as things stand right now. Sorry for yet another desperate "how competitive am I really" thread, but I've heard mixed things about the importance of away rotations, and it's hard for me to judge where I stand at the moment. Or I'm just freaking out like every other soon-to-be applicant. 😳
 
It depends upon the program, not just the tier. My stats are lower than yours and I was invited to interview at RIC and UW and Mayo (pretty much every program I applied to).

I have heard that the prople who go to RIC are the ones that did rotations there; not sure why. It could be that the applicants rank it #1, or it could be that RIC really likes people who rotate there. I tend to think if I was invited for an interview they are very likely to rank me as long as I have people skills.

Just my 2c
 
It depends upon the program, not just the tier. My stats are lower than yours and I was invited to interview at RIC and UW and Mayo (pretty much every program I applied to).

I have heard that the prople who go to RIC are the ones that did rotations there; not sure why. It could be that the applicants rank it #1, or it could be that RIC really likes people who rotate there. I tend to think if I was invited for an interview they are very likely to rank me as long as I have people skills.

Just my 2c

I think I posted in the other thread - about half my class rotated at RIC before matching at RIC - but in that half are 4 northwestern grads who are required to rotate at RIC. So of the non-Northwestern people, only 2 rotated out of 8.