Importance of Aways

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GAdoc

GAdoc
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't be offended if you've seen me post in other residency forums; I'll be the first to admit I'm pretty undecided about what I want to do.

Are away rotations as important for rads as they are for other specialties? I've heard conflicting reports. I'm sure there has been some post long ago about this, but when I searched I didn't come up with anything.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I had this question during my third year, and after thoroughly researching the topic, I came to the following conclusion:

If you are a superstar applicant (260+, AOA, many research pubs, etc.), doing aways is probably not necessary, as you are probably going to get interview at every place you apply. Yet, you can still do an away, if you want.

If you are a pretty decent candidate, and you want to go to a program that you really like, an away can help you if you are personable and can get along well with people. You will get an interview at that place, and will most likely get ranked high if your application is solid but not stellar.

If you are a below-average candidate, i think doing an away is absolutely essential for you to even get consideration. If you mesh well with the right person, it can make the difference on you getting ranked at that particular program. If you fall in this category-do an away at a less competitive institution. A below-average candidate doing an away at a top notch program will likely get a "courtesy interview" but will unlikely be ranked highly.

Hope this helps.

There is actually a published article that came out this year where PD's from all the major specialties put down their most impt aspects of med student applicants.

Although all specialties basically valued the same stuff (M3 clerkships, step 1, AOA, etc), I noticed that in Rads moreso than other similarly competative specialties, aways were not valued that highly. Not sure why, but my guess is that in Rads all a med student can do it watch, so there's not much you can get out of an away (or any home Rads rotation for that matter) other than shaking hands and getting to know the faculty.

The article was called "Selection Criteria for Residency: Results of a
National Program Directors Survey". Here's the link, I hope it works.

http://journals.lww.com/academicmed..._Criteria_for_Residency__Results_of_a.24.aspx

Members don't see this ad :)
On a side note, are there any good "beginner books" one can read to look good on a rads rotation? Is "Radiology Secrets" a good book?

For beginner books- Radiology secrets is a little to advanced in my opinion.
Best books for beginners (again in my opinion)
Learning Radiology & Learningradiology.com (website)
Squires fundamentals of radiology
Felson's principles of chest roentgenology
Radiology recall is good as well

There are a ton of good websites with lots of free stuff as well if you don't want to purchase a book.

Buy learning radiology, it's a great book really geared toward a beginner to teach the fundamentals.

I had this question during my third year, and after thoroughly researching the topic, I came to the following conclusion:

If you are a superstar applicant (260+, AOA, many research pubs, etc.), doing aways is probably not necessary, as you are probably going to get interview at every place you apply. Yet, you can still do an away, if you want.

If you are a pretty decent candidate, and you want to go to a program that you really like, an away can help you if you are personable and can get along well with people. You will get an interview at that place, and will most likely get ranked high if your application is solid but not stellar.

If you are a below-average candidate, i think doing an away is absolutely essential for you to even get consideration. If you mesh well with the right person, it can make the difference on you getting ranked at that particular program. If you fall in this category-do an away at a less competitive institution. A below-average candidate doing an away at a top notch program will likely get a "courtesy interview" but will unlikely be ranked highly.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, that helps; from the little I've read, it seems like the surgical specialities are the fields that really require an away - especially ENT and ortho. But, I've got several reasons I still may need to do one. First, I probably fit what you would consider a "strong but not stellar" applicant. My step 1 was 246/99 but my only research experience was in CT surgery and I come from a small private school in Gerogia (Mercer).

If I decide to persue radiology, I would like to attend UF-Gainesville or Emory. While my numbers might give me a fighting chance, I'm not sure my school's name will. In a case like mine, where would you place the importance of doing an away?

def. not an expert here, but i think doing an away might not be a bad idea for you. you still might get the interview at emory/florida (you have a good step score:thumbup: so that will help). i think if ure really committed to those places-then doing an away will help set u apart...

def. not an expert here, but i think doing an away might not be a bad idea for you. you still might get the interview at emory/florida (you have a good step score:thumbup: so that will help). i think if ure really committed to those places-then doing an away will help set u apart...

thanks...I've got to fill that selective time during my 4th week with something - might as well be an away. If radiology is what I decide to do, having a letter from someone known in the field would probably help. I'm doing my 3rd year at the Medical Center of Central Georgia. Its the second largest hospital in the state but because of Mercer's focus on primary care, we don't have a radiology residency. On the other hand, probably half of the diagnostic radiologists and IR guys here went to Emory. So, working with them might also be a good idea. We'll see...

thanks...I've got to fill that selective time during my 4th week with something - might as well be an away. If radiology is what I decide to do, having a letter from someone known in the field would probably help. I'm doing my 3rd year at the Medical Center of Central Georgia. Its the second largest hospital in the state but because of Mercer's focus on primary care, we don't have a radiology residency. On the other hand, probably half of the diagnostic radiologists and IR guys here went to Emory. So, working with them might also be a good idea. We'll see...

Exactly, M4 is so chill w/ hardly any responsibilities, so might as well get away from your med school and experience a new environment. Even if u don't have a burning desire to attend a certain program, better do a boring rotation in a new town than a boring rotation at home. Senioritis sets in quick, esp after step 2.