Importance of GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angyy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.
After two years of applying and not getting interview calls, I need to know how much of an important part does your GPA play in getting in dental schools. I have 3.14 GPA through ECE and I have one rem/back in third year and one in final year. I have been working as a dental assistant for past 2 years, I have a lot of volunteering experience and my TOEFL is 102. I did get interviewed by TUFTS in 2015 and UIC in 2016 and both the schools waitlisted me. In my home country I worked as a general dentist for 1 yr at Indian Redcross Society. It would be really helpful for me if someone could guide me with what I should be doing now to improvise my application. I have been having doubts that my second attempts in dental school back in India is playing a major negative role. I am really clueless right now as to whether to keep applying to dental schools or should do MHA to improve my resume. I has really appreciate it if someone could please help me decide.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys.
After two years of applying and not getting interview calls, I need to know how much of an important part does your GPA play in getting in dental schools. I have 3.14 GPA through ECE and I have one rem/back in third year and one in final year. I have been working as a dental assistant for past 2 years, I have a lot of volunteering experience and my TOEFL is 102. I did get interviewed by TUFTS in 2015 and UIC in 2016 and both the schools waitlisted me. In my home country I worked as a general dentist for 1 yr at Indian Redcross Society. It would be really helpful for me if someone could guide me with what I should be doing now to improvise my application. I have been having doubts that my second attempts in dental school back in India is playing a major negative role. I am really clueless right now as to whether to keep applying to dental schools or should do MHA to improve my resume. I has really appreciate it if someone could please help me decide.

Thank you

Hi, you should check out the CAAPID 2015, 2016 and 2017 groups on facebook to get more ideas on how to improve your resume. And to answer your questions, YES, unfortunately, GPA plays a big role. But it's NOT the only thing that will make or break your application. I know many students whith much, much, lower GPAs who got into dental school. It's all about your extracurriculars, community service, and how you present yourself in the application. If you can afford it, I would suggest seeking the help of a professional in preparing your application. Just google them online, there are many.

Hi guys.

Thank you
HEy.
GPA does play a big part but yours is not as bad as you may think. I am guessing you pass your NBDE 1 and 2 and if they were on the first attempt or if it took you a couple of times it makes a difference since it is reflected on your report when your sent it to the particular school. Also the SOP is very important. A lot of people get off track thinking it is about grades and how awesome you look in accomplishment. The schools are a bit bore when it comes to just selling yourself as a great shot.:zip: You have to portrait that you have had problems along the way to becoming a dentist. And you do that in your SOP but you can't fake it either. If you have not endure hardship become more tangible should be your next approche. Meaning do more volunteer work here in the USA since i read you did that in the Red cross society in your country. They want to see that you care about society. Also i can't stress this enough, the fact that you (i mean this to whoever reads this not just you) passing NBDE 1 & 2, great TOEFL good GPA, volunteer work, LOR and unicorns:banana: is not going to guarantee you any interviews. Right now Dentistry is HOT and USA is "making" many dentist in their state universities so for FTD to get a spot into a program is going to take a lot more than just "awesome" stats. SDN members love to ask about stats thinking that will really help. All that causes is agony because you go into thinking "if i have better stats, why don't i get an interview" And being a FTD is a lot of work; you have to put in the sacrifice of waiting patiently and just improving your self more as every day goes by.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi
I graduated in2013.... gpa 3.1...applied in 2014, 2015.. not a single interview. At present Hv part 1, 2 , Toefl 110. Currently BDS Tutor in dental college in India. Have clinical experience in home country, observerships in US, preceptorship course in boston, volunteering in US and India, lot of cde programs. Will apply in 2017 Cycle, are there chances of acceptance?

Also I feel that it's my GPA, that has been the cause of not a single interview past these years. Is it so?

Thank you

Yes in this very tough and competitive process everything matters. GPA matters a lot. People who have 4 GPA or perfect GPA they get calls even in their first cycle. I have 3.83 GPA. I applied this year to just few schools. And Chicago was one of them. I had one 2nd attempt on my ECE result. And that was ortho paper. I passed in 2nd attempt. So chicago did consider me but they emailed me specifically that why you had a repeat? I explained them. But they didn't call me.
You doubt is right. Students who have repeats or fails..they do see that.
But that's not the end of this world. You can improve in other things. Try to get as many hours of volunteering or work experience or post graduate in USA.

Hi
I graduated in2013.... gpa 3.1...applied in 2014, 2015.. not a single interview. At present Hv part 1, 2 , Toefl 110. Currently BDS Tutor in dental college in India. Have clinical experience in home country, observerships in US, preceptorship course in boston, volunteering in US and India, lot of cde programs. Will apply in 2017 Cycle, are there chances of acceptance?

Also I feel that it's my GPA, that has been the cause of not a single interview past these years. Is it so?

Thank you
Yes. Unfortunately Indians have lot of competition among themselves in this whole process. More than half applications are from India for one dental school. And they have very high GPA. To stand out you need to do some thing. Mds or an awesome community service.like NGO or volunteering..or masters. I would suggest while teaching at dental school get into research or any other post graduate program.

Hi marysmiles

Thank you so much. I knew my doubt on GPA was right.... MDS, post grad in US I cnt pursue coz of other commitments but yes research, more of Volunteering I can and will definitely go into.

I am really scared and very disheartened on the fact that I will be having bleak chances when I plan to apply next.

But thank you so again. This gives me a lot of help.

Yes in this very tough and competitive process everything matters. GPA matters a lot. People who have 4 GPA or perfect GPA they get calls even in their first cycle. I have 3.83 GPA. I applied this year to just few schools. And Chicago was one of them. I had one 2nd attempt on my ECE result. And that was ortho paper. I passed in 2nd attempt. So chicago did consider me but they emailed me specifically that why you had a repeat? I explained them. But they didn't call me.
You doubt is right. Students who have repeats or fails..they do see that.
But that's not the end of this world. You can improve in other things. Try to get as many hours of volunteering or work experience or post graduate in USA.
how about if I have 3.4 GPA passed part 1 but failed part 2 once would that effect my chances of getting in???

how about if I have 3.4 GPA passed part 1 but failed part 2 once would that effect my chances of getting in???
Not much. You can cover it with other awesome things.

Reactions: 1 user
Not much. You can cover it with other awesome things.
Thank you it has been like a nightmare hunting me whenever I want to study again!! do you know anyone who got accepted to schools even though they failed their part 2 exam ?

Thank you it has been like a nightmare hunting me whenever I want to study again!! do you know anyone who got accepted to schools even though they failed their part 2 exam ?
I know students who took boards twice ..and its common. I mean many people fail their part 2 in.first attempt. I know many people who took toefl 5 to 7 times. So its all your hard work. With out part 2 , i would say you have less chance try to pass it. Its kind of mandatory thing now