Importance of ICU experience in PM&R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BCJ

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I will be starting my transitional year in June, and I have the option of doing 4 weeks of ICU, or substituting that for inpatient medicine. I've been asked to choose, but frankly I'm a bit unprepared to answer and maybe some of you can help me out.

I know ICU would provide a great experience, but from a more practical level, will I really need that experience when in my PM&R residence? I am leaning toward doing extra inpatient medicine instead of ICU, but should I choose the ICU instead for reasons that aren't clear to me now, but might be clear to some of you with more perspective and experience?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest you DO an ICU month to learn vent management and care of the critically ill. As a rehab resident you will take care of a lot of patients who stayed in the ICU and have become debilitated so it is a good idea to know what actually goes on there... It is going to be a tough rotation but you will learn a lot that would be useful in inpatient rehab. Many rehab consults begin in the ICU (at least at my institution) and EMGs are done there as well (Critical Care Polyneuropathy, Lymes ds, AIDS...).... I thought my ICU months were the most useful of my medicine year!!! You will also get comfortable with patients that CRASH (which is not all that uncommon in the rehab setting due to earlier transfers and sicker patients).

bbbmd said:
I suggest you DO an ICU month to learn vent management and care of the critically ill. As a rehab resident you will take care of a lot of patients who stayed in the ICU and have become debilitated so it is a good idea to know what actually goes on there... It is going to be a tough rotation but you will learn a lot that would be useful in inpatient rehab. Many rehab consults begin in the ICU (at least at my institution) and EMGs are done there as well (Critical Care Polyneuropathy, Lymes ds, AIDS...).... I thought my ICU months were the most useful of my medicine year!!! You will also get comfortable with patients that CRASH (which is not all that uncommon in the rehab setting due to earlier transfers and sicker patients).

Totally agree. Would also suggest that you try to get some time in the neuro ICU or a month of neurosurgery.

Thanks guys, great advice, I really appreciate it.