importance of med school in Cali if one desires to do residency in Cali?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

veaselhaufen

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to pick from among two medical schools that I really like this next week. One is in california and the other is not. Both seem equal to me in one way or another and I've been changing my mind back and forth. Both schools have very good reputations. I realize that many people change their minds in medical school but I am pretty set on Emergency medicine at this point. How much, if at all, will going to the Cali school help in landing an EM residency in cali? Thanks a lot! I'm certainly not basing my decision on your response, but I figure it's something to consider!

Members don't see this ad.

I have to pick from among two medical schools that I really like this next week. One is in california and the other is not. Both seem equal to me in one way or another and I've been changing my mind back and forth. Both schools have very good reputations. I realize that many people change their minds in medical school but I am pretty set on Emergency medicine at this point. How much, if at all, will going to the Cali school help in landing an EM residency in cali? Thanks a lot! I'm certainly not basing my decision on your response, but I figure it's something to consider!

I went to med school in florida and I'm from Florida. I got an interview at 5 california programs. Didn't seem to matter at all from my experience.

I went to med school in florida and I'm from Florida. I got an interview at 5 california programs. Didn't seem to matter at all from my experience.

Thanks! Did you have a super step 1 or were highly qualified in some other respect? I've heard that EM isn't as board score dependent as some other specialties. Is this true, or does having a really high step 1 score help out a ton too in EM? I realize that meeting the "cutoff" is most important, but after that does it still matter? Muchas gracias

Why Cali? Are you from Cali or just think you'll like it? I think having a tie to Cali helps out a little. I am at a Cali residency right now and went to school on the east coast. Of course, it is important to do well as many people want to go to residency in places with great weather so it is competitive.

Therefore, you should go to the place that will make you happy and most likely to succeed. Those two being equal, consider the school's reputation, since that can help you out. If everything else is a tie, go to the place with the lowest tuition, cause beyond that it doesn't matter. :)

Best of Luck!