Importance of name

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jkurtz02

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have really not been able to get a straight answer from anyone on this question - How important is the name of your residency? If one wants to stay in academics I know pedigree is important, but what level is required? Must it be from an "elite" program - Cincy, Boston, CHOP - or does a big name that isn't quit as strong in Peds work e.g. Hopkins or MGH? or are the top tier, but non-"elite" programs enough to qualify you for any future position (professor, chair of a department, program director, etc...), programs like Northwestern, Emory, Pitt, etc...?

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have really not been able to get a straight answer from anyone on this question - How important is the name of your residency? If one wants to stay in academics I know pedigree is important, but what level is required? Must it be from an "elite" program - Cincy, Boston, CHOP - or does a big name that isn't quit as strong in Peds work e.g. Hopkins or MGH? or are the top tier, but non-"elite" programs enough to qualify you for any future position (professor, chair of a department, program director, etc...), programs like Northwestern, Emory, Pitt, etc...?

Thanks!!!

Good question!!! But, instead of getting a bunch of random opinions here, why not figure it out on your own. Go to the website of each of the top n programs, defined however you'd like, then look up the name of the chair, or whoever you'd like. It's likely that they have a biography on their website that lists where they trained for residency and as a bonus, for fellowship and even med school. If not, nowadays this info is available for almost any practicing physician with an internet search.

Let us know what you find out. Data >>> opinion IMHO

Good question!!! But, instead of getting a bunch of random opinions here, why not figure it out on your own. Go to the website of each of the top n programs, defined however you'd like, then look up the name of the chair, or whoever you'd like. It's likely that they have a biography on their website that lists where they trained for residency and as a bonus, for fellowship and even med school. If not, nowadays this info is available for almost any practicing physician with an internet search.

Let us know what you find out. Data >>> opinion IMHO

So I took a look at about 30 residency programs and a few fellowship programs and most of the program leadership came from training at that program either residency or fellowship. That being said the programs where the leadership did not come from that programs it was split about 50-50 from coming from an "elite" program and other good programs, obviously percentage wise that means a lot more come from those top programs, but absolute numbers are about the same.

This is clearly not an all inclusive list as I looked at <25% of residency programs and very few fellowship programs or other academic positions.

Hope this helps for some people and if anyone else has a take on this please add. Good luck to everyone with their ROL!!

So I took a look at about 30 residency programs and a few fellowship programs and most of the program leadership came from training at that program either residency or fellowship. That being said the programs where the leadership did not come from that programs it was split about 50-50 from coming from an "elite" program and other good programs, obviously percentage wise that means a lot more come from those top programs, but absolute numbers are about the same.

This is clearly not an all inclusive list as I looked at <25% of residency programs and very few fellowship programs or other academic positions.

Hope this helps for some people and if anyone else has a take on this please add. Good luck to everyone with their ROL!!

See - that was better than random blather about the importance of going to CHOPBOSTONCINCY children's hospital for residency.:p

Of course, the data are subject to all of the limitations of what is basically a retrospective review, including the fact that academic programs may have changed what matters to them. Unevaluated covariates are involved too, although you found the biggest one.

I think you should do all of the programs and present it at PAS! I bet it would get accepted for a poster.:)