Mar 31, 2013
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hello all,

I was wondering if preclinical grades were an important factor for getting into the residency of your choice? My school does pass/fail ("no honors") whatever that means, but I have been trying to make sure I study hard just in case.
Had 1 test in Microscopic Cells and Tissue and 1 in Anatomy/Histology and got Bs on both. What grades do you need in order to get into a specialty like Emergency Medicine, for example?

Thanks in advance

21Rush12

Searching a cave behind a waterfall
5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Find out if there is class ranking at your school - this is one way the P/F schools still stratify their students. EM is not particularly competitive itself, and even as such traditionally the preclinical grades aren't the defining factor for most specialties as I understand it. Step 1 and clinical grades will certainly be important.

Focus on passing and learning the material well, you're a long way off.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

scrublyfe21

5+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2014
Nearest golf course.
Status
Medical Student
From the data I have read the preclinical grades fall around #6 or 7 on items of importance out of 10 or so? Just an estimate so no one jump down my throat if I'm off a bit.

Anyways, they themselves aren't extremely important, the clinical years are more important, however the deans at my school were spouting off all this data at the beginning of the year about how preclinical grades are the strongest indicator of your Step 1/ Level 1 scores. So if that is true then take that for what it's worth in regards to how much you want to worry about your grades.

Reactions: 21Rush12
About the Ads