Importance of publications for applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psyched*Out

Reaction score
How important is getting publications/poster presentations during research hours, and is having say 700 hours of clinical research with nothing to show for it of any relevance? For research heavy schools like t20s, are those fruitless hours still looked upon favorably?

Members don't see this ad.

I did read around for similar posts, but the main point of my post is to gauge whether research hours that didn't result in any pub are still useful, which I didn't find a clear answer for.

I did read around for similar posts, but the main point of my post is to gauge whether research hours that didn't result in any pub are still useful, which I didn't find a clear answer for.
I don't think any school really expects that you will come in with any publication. It's mostly a fabrication among the pre-med community that in order to get into a research heavy t20, one needs publication. I think doing research and showing that you are really interested in it is enough. Unless you want to do a md/phd, publication in undergrad carries almost no weight at all. Or you are applying to Stanford... which is bizarrely obsessed with publication for no reason. Med student research (barring md/phd) is completely crap for the most part, let alone undergrad research output..

tbh, an MD applicant with lots of research output would raise an eyebrow if there's no good explanation why that person wants to do clinical medicine. T-20 schools, probably Stanford being the exception, are mainly here to churn out clinicians.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree, not the focus of research experience. Being able to coherently discuss what you got out of your research experience as an undergrad is way more important than whether a PI gifted you a middle author publication

Reactions: 1 users
How important is getting publications/poster presentations during research hours, and is having say 700 hours of clinical research with nothing to show for it of any relevance? For research heavy schools like t20s, are those fruitless hours still looked upon favorably?

Often just being involved in research for a significant amount of time will be all that you get out of a research position. I agree with what has been said, having publications as an applicant is not the norm.

If you are dead set on MD/PhD or getting into Harvard/Hopkins/Mayo Clinic, etc, then publications are a bit more important but beyond that, get what you can out of the research and you will be better off down the road in medical school or residency knowing how to conduct a good research project.

Reactions: 1 user
Often just being involved in research for a significant amount of time will be all that you get out of a research position. I agree with what has been said, having publications as an applicant is not the norm.

If you are dead set on MD/PhD or getting into Harvard/Hopkins/Mayo Clinic, etc, then publications are a bit more important but beyond that, get what you can out of the research and you will be better off down the road in medical school or residency knowing how to conduct a good research project.
Yeah I'm definitely not too interested in the schools you mentioned as of now, though schools like UMich, Northwestern, Icahn, etc do appeal to me, and I'm hoping schools that are in that 10-20 range are okay with research hours that result in a lot of learning about the research method itself regardless of a lack of physical output.

Yeah I'm definitely not too interested in the schools you mentioned as of now, though schools like UMich, Northwestern, Icahn, etc do appeal to me, and I'm hoping schools that are in that 10-20 range are okay with research hours that result in a lot of learning about the research method itself regardless of a lack of physical output.
I assume you are really not familiar with how competitive the whole process is given how you talk about those schools. A bit funny tone.

Sure, I would say schools below the top 10 are less concerned with publications than the top 10 so you should be fine. 700 hours of research is a fair amount anyway so it will still look good on your application.

I assume you are really not familiar with how competitive the whole process is given how you talk about those schools. A bit funny tone.
You would be correct. I haven't even begun undergrad yet, but getting exposed to this forum and the premed reddit have been a blessing and an unnecessary stressor at the same time. I feel so inclined to continue learning about the process and its nuances even though I have no business worrying about it yet. I'm really making posts and reading around to plan out undergrad as best as I can.

( I only mentioned those 3 schools as appealing based on location as well as talk I've heard in different areas of discussion, but mostly location)

I hope my anecdote helps- I have no pubs, but tons of presentations and great letters from my research advisors. I have gotten MD/PhD interviews with T10s and acceptances with T30's. While pubs would obviously be better, I do think the relative success I've had this cycle shows that pubs are not the only metric programs use to look at the depth of your research involvement. If you are looking to get involved with labs, I would value the quality of mentorship you will get over the amount of pubs you'll be put on.

That being said- if you have not started undergrad, please limit your time on these sites and do not let tips from SDN and reddit dictate everything you do in college. Like you said they can be a huge source of stress. These forums are helpful in the year or so leading up to applications, but before that just consult your premed adviser and engage with things that truly interest you in college.

You would be correct. I haven't even begun undergrad yet, but getting exposed to this forum and the premed reddit have been a blessing and an unnecessary stressor at the same time. I feel so inclined to continue learning about the process and its nuances even though I have no business worrying about it yet. I'm really making posts and reading around to plan out undergrad as best as I can.

( I only mentioned those 3 schools as appealing based on location as well as talk I've heard in different areas of discussion, but mostly location)
for chrissakes, go out and have some fun!

Reactions: 2 users

Your first and only job during the first semester is to do well academically and to learn the basics well. Start thinking about ECs like volunteering, clinical experience, research, etc, after your first semester, and even then, avoid making too many additions at one time or overloading your schedule with classes (esp. hard 'weeder' classes). ECs can always be built up quickly; repairing a damaged GPA? Not so much. Just my thoughts.

Your first and only job during the first semester is to do well academically and to learn the basics well. Start thinking about ECs like volunteering, clinical experience, research, etc, after your first semester, and even then, avoid making too many additions at one time or overloading your schedule with classes (esp. hard 'weeder' classes). ECs can always be built up quickly; repairing a damaged GPA? Not so much. Just my thoughts.
As usual, I completely agree with @Moko . Focus on the basics first, which is doing well academically. Once you prove you can excel in your classes, then you can start checking off the other med school requirements.

Reactions: 3 users