Importance of research area for postdocs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ivan_alyosha

Reaction score
Hello all, 2nd year clinical PhD student here. My ultimate career goals include either clinical health or rehabilitation psych hopefully at an AMC.

The lab I am in at my program is great, and I should have plenty of publications/posters by the time I’m applying to post-docs. However, the research area is not necessarily directly related to either of these two fields (mostly SUDs, which I know are often relevant to health/rehab populations but this is not the focus of our lab).

When applying to post-docs, will it be enough to have clinical internship and practicum experiences in these areas, or will not having a ton of directly related research in these populations be a significant detriment?

Many thanks for any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you interested in a research-focused post doc? If not, I don't think it should matter. If yes, then you would want research experience within or at least relevant to the area you are applying for research post docs in.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree. I did a VA clinical postdoc at a pretty well-known site and my vocational focused research literally doesn't overlap at all with any of the clinical training provided.

For clinical postdocs, a reputable site is likely just looking to see that you've engaged with original research and that you are aligned with the empirical approach to treatment.

If your stuff matches, that's a bonus and can make you more competitive.

For research focused postdocs, fit and the right type of productivity will be very important.

Appreciate the responses. I like research a lot, but I’m definitely thinking a more clinically focused postdoc. Thanks!