VA postdoc in NY/NJ area - thumbs up or down?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

stdnt4life

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I'm looking into postdocs for the upcoming year and was considering applying to VAs in the NY/NJ area. I haven't worked at a VA yet, but have experience working with trauma and would like to continue getting more training. I was wondering how competitive VA postdocs are and if anyone had any advice regarding applying to a VA or thoughts as to why not to apply to a VA. Thanks!
 
At the places I've been at, not particularly competitive. In a very desirable metro area and/or at more prestigious VAs or desirable specialties (e.g. neuropsych) they will be more competitive. On the other hand, a geropsych postdoc may wind up going unfilled for example. Those with VA experiences typically are at an advantage, but I wouldn't let that stop you. You may also be competitive for staff psychologist positions without a postdoc and can always get more trauma focused training on the job (e.g. CPT/PE roll out trainings).
 
It will depend on how far out you are willing to travel and whether you are talking train only or willing to have a car. manhattan will be more competitive than more suburban areas because plenty of New Yorkers don't want to leave the city. Most will have moderate competition though as VA post-docs tend to pay more.