Importance of research experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stoogen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you currently studying for the mcat? Or have you taken it already? Your clinical experience is impressive enough. Of course, any research experience will benefit you tremendously, but what will benefit you more is a high mcat score IMO. If you feel like you can juggle all of those responsibilities at once, I say go for it. However, if you have to study for the mcat still, I would focus more on that.

Thanks for the input, I still have to take the MCAT, I still have three prereq classes to take and wasn't going to take it until they were finished

Sent from my VS985 4G using SDN mobile

Some institutions highly value research experience and give brownie points for research done before application time. Others don't, and not having research will not hurt you a whiff.

If you enjoy research and it fits in your schedule, and/or have your eye on schools that place research at the forefront, then some research at this stage would be beneficial. If that doesn't apply, then don't worry about it. If your other ducks are in a row you'll be fine.