Importance of research for getting into top programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorWannaBe

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is research for getting into a top Pediatric residency program? I have about 6 months of clinical peds research experience, but no publications, and I wasn't that involved in the research aspect of the project (mostly extracting data from medical records and working on an Excel spreadsheet to organize the data). I'm interested in applying to some of the top programs, like CHOP, Boston, Stanford, UCSF, Denver, Seattle. I got 230 on step 1, honors in my peds clerkship, and pass grades in everything else so far. I have no interest in research as a career, but I'm just curious if my lack of research is a problem for some of the top research-oriented programs.

Members don't see this ad.

How important is research for getting into a top Pediatric residency program? I have about 6 months of clinical peds research experience, but no publications, and I wasn't that involved in the research aspect of the project (mostly extracting data from medical records and working on an Excel spreadsheet to organize the data). I'm interested in applying to some of the top programs, like CHOP, Boston, Stanford, UCSF, Denver, Seattle. I got 230 on step 1, honors in my peds clerkship, and pass grades in everything else so far. I have no interest in research as a career, but I'm just curious if my lack of research is a problem for some of the top research-oriented programs.

I would focus on what you change at this point in your application, i.e. get good LORs and doing well in a pediatric subI early on. I think that six months of research is good, sometimes PDs like to see research involvement because you learn to solve research problem in a certain way when working on a project, and also because as a clinician you will need to keep current with new clinical findings and being able to objectively evaluate a new research study. You could during an interview if asked about your research demonstrate what you learned, i.e. how data is analyzed, how studies are put together, residents at the top places are expected to have a good grasp on this. I would guess that not all successful applicants to the top places have extensive research backgrounds, or any at all, so although just six months, it DOES look good that you have some familiarity with research. Most pediatric residency applicants do not have publications as yet. Apply to wherever you would really enjoy going.

I would not state that you "never" want to do research, Why? Well, I don't anyone can 100% rule out research unless they have done it a while, so I would suspect that even in your case you may possibly find something interesting later on to be involved with, be something as small as small clinical trial. I would just say honestly that you are focused on excellence in clinical medicine and want the best training possible, and currently have no plans to pursue a pure research career. Remember, at the top places PDs like to have residents that are eagerly involved with research project during residency, also, many fellowships have a research component as well. Having no plans to do research as a career and being totally adverse to research are two different things, the first one is OK, the second sounds like you aren't open to different possibilities or are very un-inquisitive. Good Luck, hopes this helps!