Importance of research in non-competetive specialties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flipmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what you folks thought about the importance of doing research to get into a non-competitive fellowship (eg. ID, Renal, Pulm, Endo, etc.)? We have 2 months we can apply for to get dedicated for research. Problem is, I'm not really all that inclined towards research (more of a consumer than producer). My thinking is that I'm only going to do residency once, and I want to get exposed to all the subspecialty services I can get into. Would that be enough to get into non-elite upper to mid-tier University non-competitive fellowships? Everyone says it shows your dedication and what not, but really, how much can you accomplish in 2 months?

Just trying to get a general feel. If it's really that important, then I guess I can slog through a month or two of data gathering and red tape and forego maybe an Endo or Rheum elective.

Members don't see this ad.

It will help your application but to what end? The elite programs generally have a research component extending your fellowship out to three years. It is more difficult to transition to private practice from these programs as you typically spend your final two years dedicated to research rather than knee deep in clinical medicine.

If you truly don't have an interest in research I don't see the point in a research elective.