Importance of Step three for fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

johnwandering

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know for many specialties it doesn't matter at all (rad, PM&R), but wondering how much step 3 can effect neuro fellowship selection for Stroke, NCC, Epilepsy.

I'm scheduled to take it very soon, but I'm not confident I'll do very well. I'm wondering if I should push it back, or just be content to pass it.


Thanks
 
Not really, at least for our NCC and vascular programs. I've never read a middling application and then said, "oh, but he killed step 3, let's interview him."

Honestly, its one of those things where if step scores are super high or super low, I pay a little attention. Otherwise it doesn't really factor in. Cetainly if you did fine on steps 1 and 2, rocking step 3 is not going to separate you from the pack on that basis alone.

I guess if it took you three tries to pass step 1, and you barely made it through step 2 CK, then a high step 3 score would send a message. Otherwise, meh.