Importance of the Science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scoutdog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How heavily weighted is the science GPA compared to MCAT scores and overall GPA? I already submitted my primary app but am now worried that my sGPA is too low for most schools. I have a 3.71 overall GPA and a 517 MCAT but only 3.39 BCPM GPA. Any insight would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

It's generally best to have your science GPA at most be at most .25 below your cGPA. It also depends on what classes you did bad or well on (upper division science vs lower division science)

It's not bad enough to warrent worry. Your MCAT is really strong and your GPA is good enough. If your sGPA was a 3.0 and your cGPA was <3.5 then you would need to be worried. You should be fine, with decent EC's I think you have a strong application.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What is your grade trend for your sGPA? That's important here.

AAMC 2013 survey where 127 medical school admissions offices responded found in ranked order sGPA, MCAT, Grade Trends, uGPA of highest importance

*https://www.aamc.org/download/434596/data/usingmcatdata2016.pdf
see page 3 (pdf p7) Table 1. Mean Importance Ratings of Academic, Experiential, and Demographic Application Data Used by Admissions Committees for Making Decisions about Which Applicants to Receive an Interview Invitation and Offer Acceptance (N=127)

View attachment 205223

MCAT should be more important than sGPA. :rolleyes:

What is your grade trend for your sGPA? That's important here.

Theres a general upwards trend with my junior and senior year BCPM gpas both being above a 3.6, but its not exact (my sophomore year is the lowest). Does that make the 3.39 more acceptable?

Theres a general upwards trend with my junior and senior year BCPM gpas both being above a 3.6, but its not exact (my sophomore year is the lowest). Does that make the 3.39 more acceptable?

Yes. What is your state of residence and where are you applying?

Whether it should, or shouldn't is beside the point. The reality is that sGPA is considered the highest factor. But, adcoms do not decide on a single factor by any means. Multiple faculty and staff read all parts and 'rate' the application. Then a committee sits and judges it in its entirety. Then it decides. Rarely is a single factor of any kind the difference between acceptance and rejection

Yeah, anyway, I think an MCAT gives context to the GPA. I don't think anyone will take a 4.0 sGPA seriously if they have a 500 MCAT score.

Don't have anything to add looks like the people above hit the nail on the head...good luck!

Also 3.38 sGPA is low but your mcat is stellar!

Actually, quite the opposite. A GPA over a long period of time is a better indicator of academic performance than a single test on a single day. I have often seen really solid students apply with seemingly low MCAT, usually submitting application before taking exam. It is so much easier to hear a story of bad performance on a single day than is trying to explain 3 years of mediocre grades. This is especially true when you get that solid 3.95 GPA who comes in with a 500 first try and a 515 second.

I get what you're saying but I think there's clearly a reason why many schools average.
Taking a high stakes exam like the MCAT when not fully prepared is a poor decision.

Yes. What is your state of residence and where are you applying?

State of residency is Georgia. Applying to all schools in state and pretty widely to private schools all over.

And I agree with you- I wish the MCAT was more important! :)

I get what you're saying but I think there's clearly a reason why many schools average.
Taking a high stakes exam like the MCAT when not fully prepared is a poor decision.

Just saying but taking a bunch of college level tests when not fully prepared is also a poor decision. Except with a bad gpa you are consistently making poor decisions vs the isolated mcat test.

Not disagreeing just pointing out there's a reason schools don't rely Solely on one metric or the other...you need both (plus all the other ECs, LORS, essays, etc) to paint a clear picture

Also when I see a low gpa high mcat I always imagine they spent their college carreer doing something like this...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 78