importance of upper-level sciences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocchipcookie

yummy yummy doodlepie
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
are they absolutely necessary? what if i can only take them over a summer? what if i don't have any or only 1 or 2?

my schedule and time is really hard to figure out because i transferred schools and now need to work on credits for my residency requirement here.

Members don't see this ad.

They're recommended; not required. However, just because they're "recommended", doesn't mean you shouldn't IGNORE them all together. They certainly can tip the balance and work in your favor if you do well in upper-level science classes, because it helps dental schools gauge your potential (or can tell them how well you'll do in dental school).

Well, most schools don't "require" them, but they simply "highly recommend" them.

You really don't have to go all out with upper level sciences (unless your like me and doing a major post-bacc to fix a low undergrad GPA), IMO AT LEAST you should take biochemistry I and Microbiology. Not only because doing well in them opens adcoms eyes toward your application, but I also think they might give you a little edge during your first year in dental school

Members don't see this ad :)
Will doing really well in other science classes make up lackluster general science requirements?

Will doing really well in other science classes make up lackluster general science requirements?

Yes. If you did bad in general biology 2 years ago, but since then got all A's in 200, 300 level biology classes then this obviously shows you can handle hard classes.

should i take weird upper-level sciences then, since all or most other applicants are doing biochem/genetics/microbio? seems like that doesn't help prove that i can handle anything that other applicants can't... just a thought. depressing thought, but a thought haha

Those classes will end up helping you out... specially for the DAT. In my opinion, Cell bio is pretty much a requirement before you take the DAT. Genetics, Physio/Anatomy, Biochem will absolutely help you with that also... and later on in Dental school...

should i take weird upper-level sciences then, since all or most other applicants are doing biochem/genetics/microbio? seems like that doesn't help prove that i can handle anything that other applicants can't... just a thought. depressing thought, but a thought haha

lol can you please tell me whats a "weird" upper-level science?

"seems like that doesn't help prove that i can handle anything that other applicants can't"........ Yeh but its better to be on the same level with "other applicants" rather than UNDER thier level, don't you agree?

lol can you please tell me whats a "weird" upper-level science?

"seems like that doesn't help prove that i can handle anything that other applicants can't"........ Yeh but its better to be on the same level with "other applicants" rather than UNDER thier level, don't you agree?

haha very true. i don't mean "weird", maybe less common? like cancer bio or neurobio? those are 300/400 level bios and i'd probably have a lot of fun in neurobio lol that's all.