Important distinguishing factors between HPM fellowship programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Onewingdove

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What will you will be considering as you choose an HPM fellowship program? Or if you have experience in a fellowship already, what were some important features an applicant should consider?

I came to the process a little late to the game and don’t know as much as I would like about individual programs and what distinguishes them from each other. My application list was largely based on geography due to family constraints, but now I have to make some more nuanced decisions. I am interested in hearing your thought processes!

Members don't see this ad.

Things I'm looking at, besides the obvious (location where I might want to stick around, name recognition, good vibez):

*robust inpatient palli units with patient ownership
*opportunities for in-depth symptom management of complex presentations
*breadth of pathology
*support for research opportunities in some of the many frontiers of palli
*personally I do not want to be the only fellow and hope to go to a more established program with an alumni network
*being able to moonlight a little
*extra elective time (some places have three months!) and vacation, because there are so many areas of HPM I'd like to explore
*support for presenting research or cases at conferences
*call schedule
*bonus points for education on the business side of privately owned hospice/palli

I'm interested in hearing other people's thoughts too. This is all so exciting! So wonderful to finally be moving into the thing I love after 10 years of slogging through the broccoli fields.

ETA:

*NOT contracted with for-profit hospices (Vitas) or LTACHs owned by insurance companies (Kindred) as rotation sites

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user