Important: Everyone Please Read

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USFgas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to ask everyone to read thread 4662- 'CRNAs fighting for complete removal of supervision.'

Myself and a few other members here are trying to ascertain how many of you would like to get involved with a PR campaign that promotes the training difference between M.D. and CRNA training.

Please read thread and if you are interested PM me as it states in my post. I will report back in a few days how many did. Then perhaps we can decide the best course of action considering how many we have.

Members don't see this ad.

obligatory bump

I would like to ask everyone to read thread 4662- 'CRNAs fighting for complete removal of supervision.'

Myself and a few other members here are trying to ascertain how many of you would like to get involved with a PR campaign that promotes the training difference between M.D. and CRNA training.

Please read thread and if you are interested PM me as it states in my post. I will report back in a few days how many did. Then perhaps we can decide the best course of action considering how many we have.

Sorry if I am suspicious, but you are new. I would love to work with you and everyone towards our common goal of emphasizing the importance of physician administered anesthesia, but who are you again? Would you mind posting in the "Anesthesiology Club" as well, so we all know you are a true blue member of the ASA. This topic has already been addressed in that section of the board, but still needs considerable development.

Just want to make sure your not an "undercover crna" . . . gasp!:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
funny . . . . I thought USFgas would have been all over this with a quick reply . . .

In Florida the only remaining Anesthesia Program at the University of South Florida is a CRNA program. The crappy MDA program got shut down by your association. The CRNA program is flourishing and will produce many CRNA's over the next few years. Another example of a NEW University based CRNA program. The University of North Florida started a NEW CRNA program based out of SHANDS Jacksonville (a University of Florida Hospital).

Many MDA's love the CRNA model as we do all the work and they keep half the money. But, after we get a few years experience some of us want to keep all the money we work for; we serve our time and then do our own thing.

In Florida the only remaining Anesthesia Program at the University of South Florida is a CRNA program. The crappy MDA program got shut down by your association. The CRNA program is flourishing and will produce many CRNA's over the next few years. Another example of a NEW University based CRNA program. The University of North Florida started a NEW CRNA program based out of SHANDS Jacksonville (a University of Florida Hospital).

Many MDA's love the CRNA model as we do all the work and they keep half the money. But, after we get a few years experience some of us want to keep all the money we work for; we serve our time and then do our own thing.

The problem with thinking that a few years of experience can somehow compensate for the lack of training a nurse brings to the operating room is that nurses don't even know what they don't know.

Please don't continue to confuse monitoring a patient with practicing medicine. The reason the anesthesiology program you mentioned was closed was because of the thigh standards set by our professional organization. In stark contrast to the CRNA programs that are trying to flood the market and really don't care about the care of patients. It seems that if a few (or a few thousand) patients are harmed by CRNAs the AANA writes them off as a necessary expense.

At the urging of mocdoc, here is the truth about who I am and why I want to help.

My spouse is an anesthesiologist. I have watched for years the training that was fought through, the endless study and the residency process.

I’m in a freelance business and as such have a certain amount of free time.

I spent a great deal of this time learning about the CRNA / MD situation. I have heard MANY first hand stories from my spouse regarding issues at work that arise from CRNA’s who think they are taking over the profession, the snide remarks ect… Some are an asset, while others have the attitude that it’s only a matter of time before the MD is out of the picture.

It seems to me that the AANA is an incredibly political machine with a clear agenda. They are well funded and as a group know what they’re fighting for and how to fight.

What is killing me is that so many of the MD’s are sticking their heads in the sand saying ‘don’t worry,’ but if one looks at the number of new CRNA schools opening up and ever increasing new graduates vs. the relatively stagnant amount of MD residency slots over the last several years, it seems a simple matter of numbers before they represent a real threat to the MD career. (This would be true even if the studies were correct regarding the amount of increased surgical procedures due to an increased aging population.)

Even if that were not the case, if this fight for total independence is won by the CRNA’s that takes much of the control of out the MD’s hands in other ways. And as I stated, once this happens on a large scale in the U.S. there will be no undoing the damage.

Either way, in short is pisses me off that after seeing what my spouse has gone through that they have the nerve to think they are on an equal level - and that they represent a threat to lessen all that has been worked so hard for.

As I have posted, it is my feeling that the battle of public opinion could be easily won if only the ASA would respond with the same kind of advertising campaign that the AANA employs. I don’t understand why they won’t. After all, patients will demand the best care available for themselves and their loved ones, but the fact is in most cases they simply don’t know that the CRNA is a midlevel provider.

My expertise is in advertising and sales, and what I see is a lesser competitor beating a superior competitor though a combination of effective marketing and lobbying. This does not have to be the case if only the superior competitor realized how much there was to be lost and took up the fight.

As for what I suggest, firstly start a letter writing effort to the leadership of the ASA regarding the desire to see a PR campaign – and keep writing. Secondly, an email campaign to the ASA membership asking them to support this idea.

You are correct that even if the leadership of the ASA does not want to get on board for their own reasons that a smaller group of the membership might want to create an independent organization. (It seems to me there is too much money being made by the 50+ year old MD from the CRNA. They do not have the same motivation that the younger MD has to win this battle.)

Marketing is the key to this situation – if enough people actually care.

The second key is the AA. As UFCRNA keeps posting, they AANA will do anything to stop their training and certification. The ASA should be fighting just as hard to help them open more schools and compete with CRNA’s as extenders.

My spouse is aware that I monitor this site and occasionally have input. Most of what I write is discussed first. I guess seeing some of the pro CRNA posts were the last straw for me and I jumped in.

As I said, perhaps I should bow out of this altogether, but now you know why I did not respond immediately, the truth of my allegiance, and why I would like to help.

usf had many, MANY problems. i wouldn't tout this as an archetypal example of crna supersession.

i love the fact that you think you do "all the work" in the ACT model. shows an ignorance that is only outmatched by its hubristic arrogance.

My spouse is an anesthesiologist. I have watched for years the training that was fought through, the endless study and the residency process.

While she's busting her a** in the OR all day you're sitting at home flaming the CRNA's to a bunch of residents. She got a real prize when she married you. Don't you have some laundry to do????? Enough already.

jackson74;5029137]While she's busting her a** in the OR all day you're sitting at home flaming the CRNA's to a bunch of residents. She got a real prize when she married you. Don't you have some laundry to do????? Enough already.[/QUOTE]

What makes you so sure my spouse is a ‘she’? That is very presumptive of you.

I am not interested in flaming CRNA’s as much as I’m interested in helping to get the word out to the public as much as possible that the AANA has a serious agenda, and it’s not about providing the best patient care. It is about professional advancement – nothing else.

And residents and the newer graduates have the most to lose if the AANA achieves their goals.

That’s it for me; I’ve got to go start another load.

I PMd you. Did you read it?

jackson74;5029137]While she's busting her a** in the OR all day you're sitting at home flaming the CRNA's to a bunch of residents. She got a real prize when she married you. Don't you have some laundry to do????? Enough already.

I am not interested in flaming CRNA’s as much as I’m interested in helping to get the word out to the public as much as possible that the AANA has a serious agenda, and it’s not about providing the best patient care. It is about professional advancement – nothing else.

And residents and the newer graduates have the most to lose if the AANA achieves their goals.

That’s it for me; I’ve got to go start another load.[/QUOTE]

Hi there.

IF your spouse (be it a he/she) is an anesthesiologist. Ask her to join the Anesthesiology Club by following the directions on the first page. She will have to be an ASA member. We would appreciate the help and services of anyone in advertising,etc as this could help with a strong PR front.

Again, he/she must be an ASA member that we can verify and we will discuss whether it is permissible to have you in the club.

Thanks!

That’s it for me; I’ve got to go start another load.

Hi there.

IF your spouse (be it a he/she) is an anesthesiologist. Ask her to join the Anesthesiology Club by following the directions on the first page. She will have to be an ASA member. We would appreciate the help and services of anyone in advertising,etc as this could help with a strong PR front.

Again, he/she must be an ASA member that we can verify and we will discuss whether it is permissible to have you in the club.

Thanks![/quote]

I take it AANA members are not welcome in your club?:rolleyes: