Important Gre Notice For 2008 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flying Eagle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Information from VMCAS

The format and scoring of the GRE will change in September 2007. This change will have an effect on the admission process to veterinary school. The current GRE test will not be offered after July 31, 2007. As a result of the change, no test dates will be offered in August. VMCAS encourages applicants to register for tests ASAP as spots may become limited. Some schools have made changes in their test deadlines to compensate for the change. Therefore please be sure to check your school’s sites and descriptor pages to make sure that you are meeting these deadlines.

Members don't see this ad.

The GRE score is the total from the verbal and quantitative portion of the general test. The general portion of the test includes questions designed to measure skills and knowledge gained over a long period of time. If an applicant takes the test more than once, the highest total score is used from a single testing date, not the highest of each section.
GRE Score reporting is cumulative. Current GRE Board Policy states that your scores are reportable for 5 years (until September 15 following the fifth anniversary of your test date). All scores earned during this time will be reported to each institution you designate. For information about registering for the GRE, contact the Educational Testing Service at 1-800-GRE-CALL or visit their web site at http://www.gre.org/.

The ETS code for NC State University is 5496. The test score must be received by NC State University on or before October 1, 2007 and only scores for exams taken between October 1, 2002 and July 31, 2007 will be accepted.

Applicants for the 2008 admissions cycle must submit scores under the current test format. Scores from the previous test format (before October 1, 2002) and the revised GRE Test (after September 1, 2007) will not be accepted.

IMPORTANT GRE NOTE FOR THE 2008 ADMISSIONS CYCLE
The format and scoring of the GRE will change in September 2007 with the introduction of the Revised GRE General Test. These changes will impact the application process to veterinary school. The current GRE test will not be offered after July 31, 2007. As a result of the change, no test dates will be offered in August. VMCAS and NC State encourage applicants to register for tests as soon as possible as spots may become limited. NC State has adjusted its test deadline to compensate for the change. NC State will not accept scores from the Revised GRE General Test for the 2008 admissions cycle.

Therefore, it is required that applicants take the GRE no later than July 31, 2007 to ensure that the scores arrive at NC State by the October 1, 2007 deadline. Scores that arrive after the deadline will not be accepted.

Applicants for the 2008 admissions cycle must submit scores under the current test format. Scores from the previous test format (before October 1, 2002) and the revised GRE Test (after September 1, 2007) will not be accepted.

So what does this mean for the 2009 cycle? Is the plan to only accept the new GRE format, or will schools accept both formats? I am wondering because I am not 100% confident that I will be able to apply this year, but I was planning on taking the GREs this year. If my scores won't be accepted if I have to apply for the 2009 cycle, am I better off waiting?

Members don't see this ad :)
So what does this mean for the 2009 cycle? Is the plan to only accept the new GRE format, or will schools accept both formats? I am wondering because I am not 100% confident that I will be able to apply this year, but I was planning on taking the GREs this year. If my scores won't be accepted if I have to apply for the 2009 cycle, am I better off waiting?

Since Flying Eagle only posted for NC State's criteria you would probably have to contact the individual schools you plan to apply to about what they will be accepting for 2009. Most admissions counselors are quite nice and helpful. Good luck!

If it helps anyone, here is what we got at Colorado State:

Attention Pre-Vet students planning to take the GRE this summer:

According to the GRE web site, the test is going to be changing this year. The old exam will be offered through the end of July 2007. In August, 2007, NO TESTING WILL BE AVAILABLE. In September, the new exam will be offered but will have specific test dates.

If you plan to take the exam this year, it may be in your best interest to plan to take the old exam. You will able to schedule it any time the proctoring place is open. Just remember, that no testing will occur in August – so plan accordingly.

You can read more about the changes and the new format by going to the GRE web site. Just do a search for GRE or Graduate Record Examination.

Sincerely,
Ann Bowen
Pre-Veterinary Advisor

Just got this e-mail from my pre-vet advisor at Colorado State... sounds like good news and hopefully not an ugly rumor (at least the website checks out)!

"I sent an email awhile back stating the changes that the GRE was listing on their web site for this year. I have just found out that they decided NOT to make those changes! Whew! That will help those of you trying to take the exam this summer - ie, should open up all the months now.

To my knowledge, our testing center will still not be open this summer but at least you have more time to take the exam.

You can go to the GRE web site for more information:
(http://www.ets.org/portal/site/ets/menuitem.c988ba0e5dd572bada20bc47c
3921509/vgnextoid=46c42291f82b1110VgnVCM10000022f95190RCRD&vgnextchann
el=b195e3b5f64f4010VgnVCM10000022f95190RCRD)

Sincerley,
Ann Bowen
Pre-Veterinary Advisor "

Princeton review and Kaplan sent me emails saying that the GRE is NOT Changing!!

yay!!

from princeton review:

The GRE is Not Changing
As you may have heard, ETS announced today (April 2, 2007) that they have cancelled plans to launch the revised Graduate Record Examination (GRE).

While The Princeton Review was prepared to introduce Revised GRE prep programs, which would have reflected the new test structure, we will focus on our current GRE tutoring, small group tutoring, classroom and online programs.

This announcement is good news. You can now continue your preparation for graduate school without the pressure of these proposed test changes. The current GRE is easier, shorter and has known question types.

Our students boast an average score improvement of 210 points and we guarantee your GRE score will improve.

I want to alert you to a news release that ETS issued on April 2, 2007, announcing that we have cancelled plans to launch the revised GRE® General Test (the news release can be viewed at www.ets.org/gre). The decision was made in consultation with the Executive Committee of the Graduate Record Examinations® (GRE®) Board. While ETS and the Board remain committed to improving the test, on balance, we believe the potential risk to testing access outweighed the benefits of immediately moving to the new format.

ETS made this decision with the best interests of test takers and score users in mind. The primary factor underlying this decision is our commitment to provide all test takers and score users easy access to tests and scores, minimal change and disruption in the test process, and the most valid predictor possible of a test taker’s preparedness for graduate study. After careful review, we believe the current GRE General Test remains the best means of achieving those goals.

The primary reason for canceling the launch of the revised GRE General Test was access for test takers. During the past three months it has become clear that we could not accommodate all anticipated fall 2007 GRE test takers with the new Internet-based Testing (iBT) network. To meet the need for seats, we were planning multiple contingency plans, each of which carried potential risks. In addition, we have received input from graduate deans, admission staff, test center staff, and the international educational advising community over the past several months. We took very seriously all of the concerns raised by these groups. After much debate and evaluation, we determined that we could not assure full, simultaneous access to the revised test for all students worldwide.
For the testing year September 2007-June 2008, we will continue to offer the GRE General Test in its current computer-based, continuous testing format. For test takers and score users, nothing will change, with the possible exception of seamless adjustments to the Analytical Writing prompts (i.e., the writing tasks that the test takers respond to in the Analytical Writing section). Registrations for the current GRE General Test in India, China and Japan, which had been closed in recent weeks, are being reopened in the next few days to accommodate application deadlines.

We at ETS truly appreciate the feedback and support that you have given us. ETS will rethink and redesign the strategy for addressing needs for new test content and psychometric models for the GRE General Test, and we will work with the GRE Board to consider future improvements that will not impair access. We are working on a plan to guide our activities in the future, and we will share those plans with the GRE Board soon.