Impossible to estimate hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jfijiefjieji

Reaction score
For a few of my hobbies, I have been doing them for as long as I can remember with a varrying amount of weekly hours. Would it be acceptable to just max out the hours for the hobby section with the understanding that I couldn't possibly estimate the hours accurately? Also, would it be ok to put 0 hours for poster presentations and pubs even though I obviously spent a lot of time working on these?

Members don't see this ad.

Over the past year, how many hours did you put into this hobby? Divide that by 52 weeks. You should make a best effort to estimate the hours, and not just pick the highest number allowed.

Putting 0 for poster / publications hours is fine -- include those hours under the respective research activity instead.

For a few of my hobbies, I have been doing them for as long as I can remember with a varrying amount of weekly hours. Would it be acceptable to just max out the hours for the hobby section with the understanding that I couldn't possibly estimate the hours accurately? Also, would it be ok to put 0 hours for poster presentations and pubs even though I obviously spent a lot of time working on these?
Hobbies? Hours don’t really matter as much. For instance, I just lumped all of my hobbies together with no timeframes and put 5000 hours over the last 8 years. So like 12 hours a week dedicated towards hobbies? That sounds about right.

I don’t think anyone cares about hobbies hours.

Reactions: 1 user
1) For a few of my hobbies, I have been doing them for as long as I can remember with a varrying amount of weekly hours. Would it be acceptable to just max out the hours for the hobby section with the understanding that I couldn't possibly estimate the hours accurately?
2) Also, would it be ok to put 0 hours for poster presentations and pubs even though I obviously spent a lot of time working on these?
1) Accuracy for hobby hours isn't necessary. Enter a 999 or 9999 in the space to indicate "unknowable." Or a zero. Or break the years down into childhood, HS, and college years using the AMCAS Repeated feature, with a more accurate number for the recent years in which adcomms will be more interested.

2) Yes, or the time you spent next to the poster presenting it at a conference.