Impossible?

opt87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it impossible to jump 30 points or more on the OAT? Is this like going from a 20% to a 100%? Has anyone done it? Or know someone's success story that has? Please let me know so I don't give up on my dream!

Members don't see this ad.

It would be if you got a 380 on your first try....

But seriously, it depends. What are you trying to accomplish (ie what was your first OAT score w/ what study time and what is your goal)?

I jumped like 50 points from my Kaplan diagnostic test... BUT they give an extremely hard test initially (and I hadn't reviewed at all before the diagnostic). Was your first score an actual OAT, or a practice test? How much did you study beforehand?

I took the last 2 paper OAT exams (Oct 2004 & Feb 2005) and was able to raise my score from a 290 to 350. 60 Points! I don't think that is very common, but just know that it is possible. And yes, I did take my 1st OAT exam seriously and only got further away from the pre-req classes. I studied the exact same way and did much better the 2nd time. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
That makes me feel a little better...thanks everyone!

The first time was an actual OAT attempt. My official score was a 290, on the old scoring system. I studied for probably a week... not much, and I totally regret it. While "studying" I was enrolled in 20 credit hours including Neuroscience, Integrative Physiology, and Biochemistry, among others. At this time I was also bogged down by numerous meetings as I was the Vice President of my sorority and involved nationally via online meetings. I'm not trying to make excuses, but merely tell you what I did! I read the OAT and DAT Kaplan books (small editions) and attempted two practice tests in the OAT book.

Currently I am looking into taking the exam at the end of October -- roughly three months away. Any suggestions on planning my studying? I will be working as a vision therapist/optometrist assistant 4 days a week in the afternoons and 2 days a week I am working as a dental assistant, all day. I have the MCAT Exam Krackers books and CDs and will soon aquire the big OAT Kaplan book, flashcards, and workbook. I'm open to suggestions -- I'd love a 50 point increase and I am willing to work hard for it... I just need some guidance from those who have mastered the exam! Thanks!

P.S. Physics -- where do I EVEN begin?! (got an A both semesters but that was now 3 years ago...suggestions?)

THANK YOU!

That makes me feel a little better...thanks everyone!

The first time was an actual OAT attempt. My official score was a 290, on the old scoring system. I studied for probably a week... not much, and I totally regret it. While "studying" I was enrolled in 20 credit hours including Neuroscience, Integrative Physiology, and Biochemistry, among others. At this time I was also bogged down by numerous meetings as I was the Vice President of my sorority and involved nationally via online meetings. I'm not trying to make excuses, but merely tell you what I did! I read the OAT and DAT Kaplan books (small editions) and attempted two practice tests in the OAT book.

Currently I am looking into taking the exam at the end of October -- roughly three months away. Any suggestions on planning my studying? I will be working as a vision therapist/optometrist assistant 4 days a week in the afternoons and 2 days a week I am working as a dental assistant, all day. I have the MCAT Exam Krackers books and CDs and will soon aquire the big OAT Kaplan book, flashcards, and workbook. I'm open to suggestions -- I'd love a 50 point increase and I am willing to work hard for it... I just need some guidance from those who have mastered the exam! Thanks!

P.S. Physics -- where do I EVEN begin?! (got an A both semesters but that was now 3 years ago...suggestions?)

THANK YOU!

Physics will always come back to you with practice. Thats what its all about understanding the concepts, formulas and doing practice....maybe you want to either do some OAT practice...check mcat problems like you have or maybe go to a library and check out an AP physics B book..that should also help you out somewhat (sample problems)