Impressive extracurricular's?...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cofo

Super Cool Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some great extracurricular activities that would impress the or look good in my dental school interviews? This is a serious question, so please-only serious answers.

Members don't see this ad.

Bird watching….. But make sure you have at least 50hours, if you do your in!

What are some great extracurricular activities that would impress the or look good in my dental school interviews? This is a serious question, so please-only serious answers.

The best extracurricular activities are not based upon what looks good on paper; rather, it will be those activities that you have had the most passion for. As a result, you will do more, take more responsibilities, and most of all, you will enjoy talking about your activities so much during your interview, your natural enthusiasm will impress the interviewer.

Members don't see this ad :)

This is what you want: Research experience (something that you will be able to talk about in interviews), Leadership experience (pre-dental club), Shadowing experience (considerable amount), Community volunteering experience (health fairs, beach clean-ups, retirement home helper, etc.), Advising experience (become a peer-counselor for your major). These will all improve your application.

Any extracurriculars are good. However, make sure you have some that are dental-related. Shadowing a dentist is a must.

I agree with DDSY, Snahster, and tooth decay. ... I'd also suggest looking for an activity that requires manual dexterity. There's a specific section on the AADSAS application that asks you if you've been involved in any activities that force you to make use of your hands in a skilled way.

Hobbies: High GPA, High DAT. Physical fitness, manual dexterity.

This seemed to be the priority of interviewer interest in my hobbies. They are also interested in whether or not you are an adult and capable of carrying on conversations like an adult. If you have had problems speaking in public or to small groups or even introducing yourself in a social situation the interview process will bring this out. If you participate in an organization such as Toastmasters you could not only put it on your application but become more comfortable in the above mentioned situations.

Do something and stick with it for like 5 yrs. Show dedication! So when you say it, it means something. That's impressive.

I agree with DDSY, Snahster, and tooth decay. ... I'd also suggest looking for an activity that requires manual dexterity. There's a specific section on the AADSAS application that asks you if you've been involved in any activities that force you to make use of your hands in a skilled way.

An extracurricular activity involving use of the hands in a skilled way? Im puzzled. Any suggestions on that?

I mean, I assemble and paint model airplanes as a hobby and that involves a fair amount of manual dexterity but I wouldn't consider that an "activity"?

Focus most on grades though. I tried to impress with extracurr. by starting a medical fraternity. Took up so much time my grades started to drop. No extracurricular activity makes up for a drop in grades. I brought my painting/drawing and the figure paintings/models I did (22mm) to my interviews. I think that had an impact.

An extracurricular activity involving use of the hands in a skilled way? Im puzzled. Any suggestions on that?

I mean, I assemble and paint model airplanes as a hobby and that involves a fair amount of manual dexterity but I wouldn't consider that an "activity"?

I wouldn't be too concerned with the nuances of the word "activity." ... If you're really into constructing and painting models and feel comfortable explaining how this "activity" of yours requires manual dexterity, you should be fine.

The best extracurricular activities are not based upon what looks good on paper; rather, it will be those activities that you have had the most passion for. As a result, you will do more, take more responsibilities, and most of all, you will enjoy talking about your activities so much during your interview, your natural enthusiasm will impress the interviewer.

i agree. interviewers can tell when people just did activities that "looked good on paper" when they start asking questions. dont do 10 things that you are half hearted about. pick 1 or 2 that you really enjoy and put your effort into those.

My ECs weren't really impressive, just unique. At Columbia, my interviewer and I basically talked about me doing break dancing for awhile and also about my interest in asian art and culture. If you can find an interesting story to each of your activities, it will help.