improve chances with med school biochemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmf2682

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Next semester I have the opportunity to take biochemistry at the local state school's medical school. It's taught by the school's block director for that area. I'm not sure if I'd be in class with Ms1's or if it's for normal grad students or what, but it's open to undergrads with a year of organic. I've been told that the course was designed for first year med students and has a clinical theme.

I'm thinking I should take it. If anything it'll help me get ready for medical school, and could be fertile lor territory if I do well. Plus the material just sounds interesting. But my question is, will this increase my chances any more than a normal upper level science?

Members don't see this ad.

Next semester I have the opportunity to take biochemistry at the local state school's medical school. It's taught by the school's block director for that area. I'm not sure if I'd be in class with Ms1's or if it's for normal grad students or what, but it's open to undergrads with a year of organic. I've been told that the course was designed for first year med students and has a clinical theme.

I'm thinking I should take it. If anything it'll help me get ready for medical school, and could be fertile lor territory if I do well. Plus the material just sounds interesting. But my question is, will this increase my chances any more than a normal upper level science?
It would be looked at as on par with regular undergrad Biochem, and would not earn you any special points. And you'd be competing with med students, many of whom have already taken Biochem. And keep in mind that the course would be much faster paced than an undergrad class.

As an example, I took a year of undergrad Biochem. In med school, we used the same text and covered the same material, but in just 6 weeks. Imagine if that were your first exposure to the material.

It would be looked at as on par with regular undergrad Biochem, and would not earn you any special points. And you'd be competing with med students, many of whom have already taken Biochem. And keep in mind that the course would be much faster paced than an undergrad class.

As an example, I took a year of undergrad Biochem. In med school, we used the same text and covered the same material, but in just 6 weeks. Imagine if that were your first exposure to the material.

So your put is that there's a greater risk of failure with decreased reward for doing well. Do you think I should take other things?

I'm not certain what's going on with the time frame you mentioned. The course is actually a two semester sequence with three credits a class. The professor told me it would be to my advantage to take it before medical school because when I got there I'd be taking loads of other stuff at the same time. Do some schools break out biochemistry into a full year? I can pm you the course page if you'd like.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is just going to be harder..but if your planning on going to med school you have to be able to do it. I would say it could only help you..just be prepared.

So your put is that there's a greater risk of failure with decreased reward for doing well. Do you think I should take other things?

I'm not certain what's going on with the time frame you mentioned. The course is actually a two semester sequence with three credits a class. The professor told me it would be to my advantage to take it before medical school because when I got there I'd be taking loads of other stuff at the same time. Do some schools break out biochemistry into a full year? I can pm you the course page if you'd like.
I'd have said that there's a greter risk of a mediocre grade with no added reward for doing well. The sasme would apply to any other course that same program offers.

Med schools vary widely in their curriculum and timeframes for offered courses. I'm willing to believe that there's a school that stretches it out over a full year (though I hadn't heard this before), which would be much less stressful. I'd agree that having Biochem under your belt before going to med school is a good course of action, but there's no reason to take it with a class where many will have already mastered the concepts.