Improve GPA? Or focus on MCAT? Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mgitms786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in my junior year of undergrad, and am looking to apply in the summer. My semester GPA had an upward trend until this semester, when I got 2 B's. My cumulative GPA has a strong upward trend (started with 3.18 as a freshman, am now at a 3.62).

I plan on taking the MCAT in May/June and then applying as soon as I can this summer, and am going to be taking a prep course this spring semester.

Overall GPA: 3.62
Science GPA: 3.1

After the spring semester, I am 100% sure I can raise my grade to the following (with 12 credit hours):

Overall GPA: 3.67
Science GPA: 3.259

So my question is, should I focus on improving my GPA more (by taking 3-6 more credits) or should I keep it light this semester and focus on my MCAT? Because I am also going to continue volunteering once a week at a free clinic as a volunteer nurse, and I need to make sure to get a 4.0 this semester. I also have to go through my recommendation committee, which will take up some time during my first month of the semester.

Even if I did take more credits, I would be able to improve my expected GPA to:
3.68 w/3 more credits
3.69 w/6 more credits

So the final question is:
a) Keep it light during the semester and rock the MCAT, continue to volunteer and get
that 4.0 gpa
b) Take 3-6 more credits to improve my GPA, but I probably won't have as much time for
my MCAT
c) Take 18 credits, hold off on the MCAT, apply next cycle
d) additional advice to improve myself as an applicant

Thank you, all advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in my junior year of undergrad, and am looking to apply in the summer. My semester GPA had an upward trend until this semester, when I got 2 B's. My cumulative GPA has a strong upward trend (started with 3.18 as a freshman, am now at a 3.62).

I plan on taking the MCAT in May/June and then applying as soon as I can this summer, and am going to be taking a prep course this spring semester.

Overall GPA: 3.62
Science GPA: 3.1

After the spring semester, I am 100% sure I can raise my grade to the following (with 12 credit hours):

Overall GPA: 3.67
Science GPA: 3.259

So my question is, should I focus on improving my GPA more (by taking 3-6 more credits) or should I keep it light this semester and focus on my MCAT? Because I am also going to continue volunteering once a week at a free clinic as a volunteer nurse, and I need to make sure to get a 4.0 this semester. I also have to go through my recommendation committee, which will take up some time during my first month of the semester.

Even if I did take more credits, I would be able to improve my expected GPA to:
3.68 w/3 more credits
3.69 w/6 more credits

So the final question is:
a) Keep it light during the semester and rock the MCAT, continue to volunteer and get
that 4.0 gpa
b) Take 3-6 more credits to improve my GPA, but I probably won't have as much time for
my MCAT
c) Take 18 credits, hold off on the MCAT, apply next cycle
d) additional advice to improve myself as an applicant

Thank you, all advice is appreciated!
I think your cGPA will be fine by the end of next semester if all goes as planned, however, your BCPM GPA will still be seriously low considering the average for MD acceptees is 3.61 (and for DO matriculants is an sGPA 0f 3.36). So I'd suggest waiting an additional year to concentrate on taking upper-level Bio and Biochem and getting As to raise those numbers. This would allow for dedicated MCAT study this coming summer with a fall MCAT date, when coursework wouldn't keep you from concentrating.

The extra time might give you the opportunity to get in additional ECs, like research, nonmedical community service, leadership, and maybe teaching. Some dedicated physician shadowing is a good idea as well.

Thank you! Yes, my science GPA is veryy low....and you are right, waiting another year is probably the best. Even if I raised my GPA to 3.33 that would not be high enough right? What would I do then, that year after senior year when I am waiting to hear back from schools?

Thank you! Yes, my science GPA is veryy low....and you are right, waiting another year is probably the best. Even if I raised my GPA to 3.33 that would not be high enough right? What would I do then, that year after senior year when I am waiting to hear back from schools?
You're right that a 3.3+ is still low, but it CAN be enoughif you demonstrate a steep upward grade trend for three semesters. This will be appreciated and can compensate, especially if a strong MCAT score shows that you "got it."