Improve timing on mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yjj8817

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep running out of time for pretty much all sections. Any tips? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I keep running out of time for pretty much all sections. Any tips? Thanks!
Hi yjj!

I am sorry to hear about the timing problem but, it really does depend on where you are in your studies. Early on, focus on working systematically through questions and on understanding the passage. When reading, focus on relationships and scientific outcomes, not details. If an experiment if performed, worry more about the results and what they show rather than the actual technical procedure.

Early on in your studies I tell students to write short summaries ( < 1 sentence) of each paragraph or figure they read in a passage. This is not test day like, but it forces your brain to pause and think critically about what its reading, rather than passively absorbing random info. As you get better, you will likely write down less and transition more to highlighting. Your ultimate strategy is up to you but try them out, see what is effective for you.

Reading a science passage should take you about 3-4 minutes, leaving most of your time for the Qs. Some may be shorter some longer but all the points are in the Qs so you should spend more time there.

For staying on pace in a section, you need to set a pace, like a runner. The new MCAT provides ~ 1 min per discrete Q and 8 mins per science passage and 10 mins per CARS passage. When going through a section you want clear checkpoints that will allow you to figure out if you are running ahead or behind.

A common and effective timing strategy for the sciences is:

Do the discrete questions 1st (15 of them, 15 minutes) 80 minutes left in section
Do 2 passages at a time (8 mins per, 16 min/pair, 5 pairs) 64 minutes, 48 minutes, 32 minutes, 16 minutes left in section.

This is a guideline. But to stay on pace you need to have some schedule with which to stick. Some student like to do the section in order, others like to skip around picking "high priority passages" to do first (I would NOT recommend this given the new 1 Q at a time format). Again if you are just starting out, try some half-sections and utilize various methods, see what works best for you.

Good luck!!